Amps Amps Amps

Anonymous

im sorry if i offend anyone but recently i have seen people desegrating lower quality amps. Legacy, Boss u know Sony the crap of the crop. Some people cant afford the high end equipment u recommend. I feel that making people think these amps are terrible is wrong. Subs maybe but amps no way. Its an amp people they all do the same thing. I have heard legacy amps power jl subs, mtx subs, i ahve heard sony power image dynamics at the local summit racing. Your interpretations are wrong on these amps. Sure legacy amps say they put out 2000 watts rms when its mroe like 1200-1500 but for 160$ beat that. Im sure if i powered my w7 with a legacy amp half the people here would not be able to tell the difference if i put together and powered it correctly. So please if some1 says budget. Dont give them crappy subs...ie type R's which u can buy at your local circuit city ( although they dont sound that bad)... and then give them a 600$ amp which is brand name.
Just some advice...were not all pros or p.diddy's

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 394
desegrating is not a word

and when they say 2000 its like 400

and yes we could all tell the difference

people on this board understand budgets thats why they recommend mtx jbl etc for cheap but solid amps that are actually rated at what they claim

and type rs are great subs

Username: Legacyaudio

Post Number: 1
well considering my name is legacy audio i have to somewhat disagree with u erik

1) ur right desegrating isnt a word..but desecrating is

2) dont lie u prob couldnt tell the dif because even though they suck you could put them to speakers not subs

3) in my opinion jbl isnt that great but mtx and audiobahn arent bad

4) type r's are good subs

5) and 2000 is like 1000

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1455
Well LegacyAudio, you are wrong too. People that are into high quality will be able to tell a difference. I've tested cheap amps to great amps. Believe me, you can pick out the cheap amps with your eyes closed. Of course it'll be harder for people that never heard high quality amps in action.
You would never want to use cheap amps to power mids and highs cause that is where they struggle the most. Bass on the other hand, is a bit harder to distinguish but still possible.
For those with small budgets, JBL, MTX, Audiobahn are good brands to try. Sony, Legacy, Boss, Pyramid, Pyle, Lanzar, and few other no name brands, may be cheap in price but they're not worth buying.
When those companies say "1000W", they not even close to the power numbers. If you read the fine print somewhere in their manual, you'll notice that in rms rating, it's only 300W or less. Some refuse to print rms numbers. Pyramid, Boss and Sony are the worst offenders. Take a look at their speakers too. The so called 420W power is really like 65w rms. They take that then mulitply by 2 (since most people buy them in pairs) and use a factor anywhere from 5 - 10.
That's just shabby marketing lies. If you go to Pyramid's website, there's a warning from them stating that they can not guarantee any power numbers on their amps and have the right to change anytime.
If it were up to me, I'd make all of them print true power numbers instead of lies to sucker in new consumers.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1456
Typo error, "they" should be "they're" right after "1000w".

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 446
Actually,

1) Yes Type R's are DEFINITELY NOT crappy subs, I finally heard one personally and it sounded good.

2) Yes, some people here probably could tell the
difference. I know, I used to have a Legacy amp. It said it was 1000 watts but I honestly doubt it even pushed 500. That amp had trouble pushing 2 fricken 6 x 9's.

3)In my opinion JBL is very decent for the price. Mtx is also very good for the price. And Audiobahn should never be compared to MTX, and especially stated as better than JBl.

Post Number: 2
jbl suck

audiobahn isnt even on the same level

jbl should stick to computer speakers.

And no type r's arent crappy but for the same money you could some 1100 rms audiobahn's on ebay which would blow them outa the water.

in my opinion subs sound best with the same brand amp. MTX-MTX Audiobahn-Audiobahn etc.
that is y jbl suffers they have failed to produce good subs to match their mediocre amps.

i feel that brands like legacy are very underrated an under appreciated. At least they try to rip you off by offering high watts with crap rms. Where as other companies just plain rip u off. In my opinion car audio is overpriced but some people are willing to spend 600-800$ on a sub that isnt that great....w7.... i mean sure jl makes good subs but are u willing to put that much money into something beatable by mtx--which is a very possible idea becasue i feel that some are better and a lot cheaper--

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 454
"And no type r's arent crappy but for the same money you could some 1100 rms audiobahn's on ebay which would blow them outa the water."

Have you ever heard Audiobahn? Yes, I used to have an Audiobahn 12" too, and it was even an upper model. Sure it got pretty loud, nothing to really brag about. But it sounded like garbage. The only time it sounded decent was when the volume was at about 2 on my Alpine deck. And it was being pushed by an MTX amp so don't try to bring that into the arguement. And what are you comparing the Audiobahn's to that they would blow out of the water? The crappiest model in the Road Thunder series? MTX subs are decent, not the greatest in the world, but Audiobahn would definitely not blow them out of the water. And what of MTX do you think is gonna beat a W7? The only thing that would come close is the 9500. Don't say an RFL either, we know it'll probably get louder than a W7, that's all it's made for, SPL.

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 410
I would be able to tell the difference if you powered speaker's, or sub's for that matter with a legacy, then power the same speaker's, subs, with a True amp!
I used to have an Legacy amp, I believe it was an 400 watt amp, or so they claimed.:-) It made my 6/9's sound like crap!
If you don't want to spend a crap load of cash go with Jbl,
Mtx
Audiobahn even though a lot of people think they make crap but half of them have never owned an audiobahn amp
Hifonic
Legacy will work, but it is at the bottom of the ranking in my opinion, and my opinion only!

Post Number: 4
joe the 9500 has taken over the w7 both in sound comparison and in price.. also jl is on crack they lose so much business for nto taking responsibility by shipping or internet sales.. in my opinion jl needs to do some huge marketing reconsideration.. and i was referring to audiobahn blowing out the type r's my friend bout a pair of audiobahn eternals which made 2 type r's sound like a tin pan being beat against a wall. For some reason u facor the type r's a little more than what theu actaully are. Everytime i have heard them they have been nothing more than average subs.

And noticing ur system apparently u feel MTX is better than jl otherwise you wouldnt have paid the money for their subs when u could have gotten jl subs.
Stop being a hypocrit and admit that the w7 is overrated and overpriced compared to other top models subs. In my opinion and mine alone i feel there are tons of better subs such as eclipse mtx and even brahma. If u feel that jl is better than those i recommend you get rid of ur mtx and move on to ur non warranty subs that will cost you about 600-700$ at a jl dealer

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 412
I will agree that Jl is Overpriced, no dissagreement heer:-) not sure about overrated, maby a little, but the w7's sound amazing!

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 455
I definitely agree with you about the over-priced part. And I don't feel that MTX is better than Jl. I couldn't have easily boughten JL if I wanted to. Their too expensive. You even stated that your self moron. And I currently am not running the Thunder 8000 with the 311D. That stuff has moved to my dad's pickup. I'm just too lazy to update my profile. As of right now I am running an Eclipse Aluminum with an Mtx 421D pushing it. I got the Eclipse from a friend for a good price, didn't really need it just wanted to try something different. And yes, I like MTX amps for the price. Next week I am actually gonna order an ED 16kv.2, a guy is buying the eclipse from me on Friday. And yes I have had JL actually, I once had a W3 in my car that I also got from the same friend.

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 628
well old lanzar made good amps.
jl is over priced, legacy is overrated, so is boss, and pyle. "you get what you pay for" why they arent as good as other amp cos is because of the parts they use. they use cheaper parts, that do not last under the circumstances. and if you had two different amps one legacy, and one mmm, lets say orion, and you hooked them up to the same driver in the same con. you will hear a difference. a quality amp will usually underratre their amps, like orion, the 225 hcca which is 25x2@4 ohms. and that is the rating they give you, and in the fine print they will tell you it does 200x2 at .5 ohms. as far as boss, etc they will tell you 3000 watts nice and big, and then you look at it closer and you will see "max power" followed by 800 watts rms. nice amps will also control the movement of the sub a lot more accurate then a low end one. it will have a higher damping factor. i think that everyone has used crappy products and MOST of us will admit that they were crappy. i have used crappy ones, lightning audio, 4s and 6x9s and power acoustik subs and amps. i have upgraded since then.

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 629
i understand that we are poor, i am thats for sure but telling someone to buy a crappy amp, because it is cheaper will just hurt the person we are giving advice, there are a lot of alts, that arent too far off, price wise then boss, etc but surpass them in quality.

Silver Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 190
legacy im just going to say flat out right now...your a moron...yes a moron...thats all...just shut up and leave this thread if your going to give people bad advice...see guy...here is the thing...people here give us there budget...we work with that...we dont reccomend crap that will die...we give them the best they can get for there money...we know everyone is not rich...thats why if you go through all the threads...we ask what there budget is andwe work with that...so dont say we offer tooooo high quality crap
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us