Polyfil ?

Username: Kennywood

Post Number: 4
Hi all

I have just finished building my first car subwoofer box and heard that polyfil stuffing can help give a better sound.

Is that true?

Silver Member
Username: Xxkmfdmxx

Saint Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 142
Makes my boxes sound better. Why though I don't know.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
did for mine.
but expairment, find out foryourself.
Wal-mart has a 2lb bag for $7.
i used a 1lb per cuft.
others will tell you it will make it feel like its in a bigger box. seince I dont have a 2nd box i wouldnt know.

Bronze Member
Username: Drumjunky

Boulder, Colorado

Post Number: 15
polyfil should only be used for a sealed enclosure

the polyfil makes the box seem like it has a larger volume than what it really has and is used to tune your box...how or why this happens, I'm not totally sure of

I have a sealed 2cu ft box and it was recommended that 16oz of polyfil should be used...I used the polyfil and I think it sounds great!

Bronze Member
Username: Wojopro

Post Number: 84
I know you use it to make a smaller box seem bigger... Kinda a fix if you screwed up dimensions... Maybe glass can tell you more scientifically why it does what it does.

Bronze Member
Username: Datboyp

Odessa, TX USA

Post Number: 27
it slows down the air waves been sent to the back of the box, making them take longer. thus, it seems as though the box is bigger because it takes the waves longer to get to the back of the box and back.

at least that's my take on it :-P

Bronze Member
Username: Jcgoal33

Post Number: 19
yes but adding polyfill isnt always a good thing because pollyfill decreases the amont of low hz output but increases the amont of hi hz output for a person that likes deep low basslines and extended bass notes this isnt a good thing but the good thing is it only alters the levle of output by 1 or 2 dbs wich in most cases u wont even kno the diffrence so in car stereos polyfill really doesnt do much it is meant to be used in home stereos that are specificlly tuned hi this is because they are running off of 8 ohms not 4, 2 or 1 ohms like car stereos do in that kind of aplication the sound diffrence with polyfill and without would be alot more noticable

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 130
can decrease db, but can make sound better.

Bronze Member
Username: Jcgoal33

Post Number: 33
yes insome cases this is true every subwoofer and box reacts diffrently im just saying on avrage but yes it can help the sound in some cases
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us