Glasswolf read.....Re: High powered alternator

Bronze Member
Username: Wj94

Post Number: 11
note - i have a 2000 mustang that has a 120V alternator

i always see you saying that a high powered alternator is a good investment for a nice system, but i don't want to void my extended warranty just to put a new alternator in. i'll probably only be putting in a single 12" solobaric L7 and some kind of amp in the 600W RMS range to power it. the thing is, i still have the mach audio 460 audio system in the car and i'm not sure how that will sound with those speakers and head unit. i'm told that it'll cost more money to rip out the mach audio system because it's pretty complex. would i be able to put this single sub and the amp together without having to replace the alternator or premium audio that came with the car? i'm not looking to blast away the neighborhood, just to get some nice bass out of my system since i listen to a lot of hip-hop. any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1254
that'd be 120A, not volts. :-)

anyway metra has an adapter to supply a line level output from teh amplifier harness in the trunk.
get one of those, and run it to the amp you want.
stick to a good class D amplifier, like a JBL or Kicker 600W model.
you may be fine with the stock alternator.
If your lights dim when you turn the system up, you'll want to look for a larger alternator.
It may not void your warranty, or talk to a starter and alternator shop.
See if they can rebuild your stock alternator to a higher output.
nobody would know teh difference but you and your amplifier.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
haha yeah, 120A....sorry. how much does one of those adapters cost? and would having the stock alternator changed to a higher output have any adverse effects on any other parts of the engine? thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Newb

Post Number: 107
i kinda had the same question. but i think putting in a new alternator would probably void the warranty. when i talked with the dealer they said any mods to the electrical system would void the warranty. at the time i was only trying to put in a remote starter. rebuilding the stock alternator is a cool idea. but cant they just measure the output with a meter and know its not stock? im assuming dealers arent that stupid.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
when you use your warranty, i would assume it's good anywhere and not just the place you bought your car from, although that depends on the warranty i suppose. but they wouldn't have any real reason to check the output of your alternator unless whatever problem you had was a direct result of too much current coming from it. i'm not a car expert, but that's what common sense would tell me.

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
you shouldnt see any real problems from a high output alternator provided it is regulated well.
the major concern should be not whether it puts out 1.5 to twice as much as stock but if the voltage will be regulated properly which that could do damage.
obviously you wouldnt want anything in the 15-16 volt range or beyond as an output but if you go from 120 amps to 200 amps only means you have more amperage available to the battery as well as the vehicle while the car is running.
keep in mind a decent v-6 and v-8 engine especially in todays highly computerized car with all the options will use alot of amperage and the batteries will be well over 600 amps so amperage should not be your concern.
since there are so many companies popping out of nowhere which rebuild alternators to be a high output with an assembly line style (or even worse some guy named "bubba" in his backyard with an impact and some cheap taiwan parts) i would stick to a larger name brand or even better is to have yours rebuilt by a reputable local builder.
as glasswolf said using an adaptor to get a low level signal to your aftermarket stuff is the best waya dn leave the mach stuff in there it should work fine together and just filling out the bottom end sounds like is all you want.
jay

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
thanks for the help. do you have any idea how much it usually costs to have a stock alternator rebuilt to higher output? i turned up the mach system to the max today and the bass is actually decent for a stock radio with no subs.....that solobaric will be nice.

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
yes exactly and just a little more bass and you should have a great souding system and theres a good chance you may not even need a high output alternator but if after hooking up your sub and amp if you find that you do need it you could try...
http://www.olyonline.com/boshighoutputalt.htm
http://www.forparts.com/techhighoutputalt.htm
they sell brand new oem quality high output bosch alternators but even better brand new.
this company is good and well bosch quality speaks for itself.
jay

Gold Member

Post Number: 1264
the adapter should be under $20.
the alternator won't affect anything. it just supplies more current when needed.
Much like putting a bigger power supply in your computer.. it allows you to power more devices.

Why would they look at the alternator at all?
besides, to measure output on an alternator they need to pull it out of the car, put it on a dummy load, and put it on a meter while it's running.
Not the sort of thing you do just for fun.

alternator rebuilds or HO alternators run around $150-300 US usually.
more for fancy very high output models.. chromed, 250A+ etc

Silver Member
Username: Newb

Post Number: 109
so the cost for a rebuild or a new alternator is about the same?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1274
yeah give or take
rebuilds are usually cheaper. new ones usually come in higher ratings than one can be rebuilt from stock.
it varies by alternator.
I'm using a rebuilt Denso in my Jeep. It puts out 165A which for me is plenty

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
word, i'll probably just hook up the sub/amp and see how it runs without doing anything to the alternator. i can always get that done later if need be.....if only i didn't have to pay for the new car, this would all be much easier. =(

Gold Member

Post Number: 1299
good plan.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us