Are snail shell enclosures all that they are hyped up to be?

Bronze Member
Username: Kizzz_master

Post Number: 11
Im currently deciding what type of box i should put my brahma 12" in. I have read many sceptical views on the internet on how effective such enclosures are. Does anyone have any first hand experience with these boxes? thanx

Anonymous

im not sure i have read that they are quite good but i havent had any first hand experience maybe someone else can enlighten you

Username: Alpha_male

Post Number: 10
I have been looking at these for about a month now and was almost positive that I was going to get one but now I am not becouse you can get just as good SQ and SPL out of a well built ported box. That would be a much cheaper route anyway.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1885
They're really hard to built correctly. So, if you're a little off, you won't get good results, resulting in poor SQ and mediocre SPL benefit. That's more than likely the main source of bad reviews. If designed well, though, they do hit hard. Snail Shells don't quite have the SQ of a ported box, but it's pretty good.

Bronze Member
Username: Cbigchrisb

Post Number: 46
actually jon, i've heard from user WITH snailshells that not only was the spl much higher, but the sq was much better too. from a few, they've snailshell didnt sound all boomy like most ported boxes, hit a great on lows and highs, and hit tight and accurate like sealed. those boxes must have a pretty high qtc and flat response f3

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1894
Ported boxes can sound very tight and accurate as well. I guess I should have clarified. I prefer SQ designed ported boxes over snail shell. Compared to a higher tuned ported box or SPL designed ported, I'd take the snail shell for SQ no doubt. For ultimate SQ, I like AP membranes though, but they don't increase SPL, they're actually a little less efficient than sealed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
What do you think gives the best balance of SQ and SPL? i heard that the AP membranes are quite hard to install yourslef is this true?

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 762
i see it like this give the box or Ap a whirl; proceed with caution as testing and in the end you will be sucessfull esp. with help from others like jon to give you input. And as always do your homework before tackeling a project. (knowledge is power) (saves headaches and agravation too lol) Only thing stoping you from possible sucess is trying. Doing nothing keeps you where you are.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Ok thnx. ill go and try them both out. thnx all for the input. appreciated.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1898
They are difficult to implement, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you are willing to do a lot of work for sound deadening and install. The rear wave has to totally seperate from the front. Anyway, AP isn't good for SPL as it's a little quieter than sealed. I can't really help you w/ snail shell, horn equations and 1/4 wave theory, haven't built one, only heard custom ones. I'd recommend you go to www.powered4sound.com and have them custom build you one. As far as ported, that's a good do it yourself project and if you have building skills, a custom built ported will sound better than any prefab you could buy.

Bronze Member
Username: Sas

Post Number: 44
wow....i never knew there were diffenrt ways to build a box. i figured proted, sealed, band pass... that was it, where can i learn more about differnt box types?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1922
http://www.caraudiomag.com/technical/0206cae_boxbasics/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us