Universal remote to use with Kenwood VR-6070

Username: Muse

Post Number: 1
This receiver has an RF remote. Will it respond to an IR universal remote? I know the remote that comes with it is a learning remote and will put out IR to control your other devices. However, will the receiver itself respond to an IR universal remote or do I have to get an expensive UR that supports RF? I've got a projector and I need a remote that has lighting. Suggestions for UR's appreciated. I'm currently contemplating the Harmony SST-659, the MX-700, MX-600 and MX-500. Thanks.

Post Number: 2
I found out the answer to my question plowing into the manual. On page 22 it says that the 6070 supports RF and IR. I still wasn't convinced but it tells you how to switch between:

RF frequency 1
RF frequency 2
RF off

So, setting it to RF off, I determined beyond doubt that the 6070 was responding to IR only (putting my hand over the emitter halted response). Confirmed!

It's universal remote for me - the 6070 remote is SO STUPID it switches to RCV mode every time you adjust the volume! That is absolutely ridiculous. You have to hit TV again, or DVD if you want to control those devices. NO WORKAROUND, AFAIK. Aside from that, there's no illumination and probably absolutely no macro support. I have a projector and I have to use it in the dark. I'm thinking universal remote. Besides, that 6070 remote is a boat in your hand. Easily the biggest remote I've ever laid eyes on.

Username: Gdawg

Post Number: 6
Hey man,

Dont diss the 6070's remote, its may be big but it is comftorable in your hand. Kenwood designed the remote very well.

You dont have to press the TV button, if you press one of the TV buttons(TV power, volume, channel) it switches automaticly. However you do have to press DVD and the other remote modes.

I got used to the remote and dont need to look at the buttons. I like the 6070's remote very much. In fact, in others, I got the 6070's remote controlling my Elite 43. RF dont work however.

If Kenwood had made the remote your way, while it is true that you would not have to press Tv, DVD, etc, they would have had to make the remote twice the size, also making it harder to use.

G.DawG

Post Number: 3
Hey G.DawG,

Cool, I didn't mean to dis the remote. Fact is, I'm really new to it. Had it a while but I have the 6070 right next to my computer so I usually just reach over and tweak the knobs, hit a button, whatever. That was before I got my new video projector, though. Now I have a new set of requirements. The biggest thing is that the room is basically totally dark when I use it while watching movies or whatever. When I get the VCR's set up, HDTV tuner, maybe a digital video recorder, whatever, I'll need a remote that has illumination or is at least so easy to use I won't have to look. I might be able to limp along for a while using the 6070 remote, I don't know. I tried some of the codes in the manual but haven't been able to get anything to work with it without resorting to the learning mode, which I may or may not do. I figure I'll get one of the progammable remotes anywhere from $100 - $200 and hopefully have something I can use for years and not wish for a better one. As far as the size goes, I think it's big but it's maybe around the size of the universal remote I'll be getting. I'm sure this thing has more power than I realize, but I seriously wonder if I could be happy with it even if I knew its total capabilities.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us