Nad t742 vs h/k 230 vs yamaha 5660

Anonymous

I am in the market for a new reciever. I was looking at a receiever that has pre-amps out for future seperate amps. I like the nad but they seem to have quality issues. I don't need lots of power right now . My speakers are b&w 602 s1.I listen to music 40% and movies 60%. What would be the pros and cons of the 3 recievers. Any help would be appreceiated.
Thanks,

Username: Stone

Post Number: 7
If you are worried about NAD reliability, the HK 230 does have pre amp outs. I have one as a stopgap while piecing together separates and it has not had issues in the first 5 weeks of use. The HK does have that warmer sound similar to the NAD and more features at less cost. The T742 is supposed to be the least problematic of the NAD AV receivers. No experience with the Yamaha.

Username: Hteaterjunkie

Post Number: 7
Anon,

You can't go wrong with the any of those receivers IMHO. I would recommend the HK or the NAD simply because I believe the sound those two receivers put out are superior to the Yamahas and they have much better power supplies than the Yamahas as well. However, I would recommend you listen and decide for yourself.

I would also like to point out that I have not heard of any quality control issues with the NADs. Every manufacturer has "defective" receivers. It's simply the way the world of electronic components works. Basically, what I am trying to say is that NAD equipement is no more problematic than the other manufacturers receivers.

Good luck with your decision!

Anonymous

Htheatjunkie where have you been the last year? NAD 1 and 2 series AVR's have had a TON problems

Post Number: 8
"Htheatjunkie where have you been the last year? NAD 1 and 2 series AVR's have had a TON problems "

Anon,

What are you basing that from? When I said that I did not hear of any quality control issues with the NADs, I was referring to the present time, and not the past. I will agree that NAD has had some quality control problems in the past, pretty much every company has. There are no more problems at this time with the 2 series (which is what was mentioned) than other brands have with their receivers.

If however, you still believe there is a quality control problem with the NADs, then simply go with another brand. I do not worship NAD but I do believe they make great receivers for very good prices. They are very honest with their ratings as well which is a rarity in this day and age. The same however can be said for HK which is why I suggested both of them. The major difference for me between the NAD and HK are the features and the type of sound they put out which is a matter of needs and taste.

Username: Stone

Post Number: 8
Ahh theater, there are two active threads with people complaining about 752 and 762 issues and this guy is looking at a 2 series. I agree with Anon, there are still a lot more problems with NAD than other brands. I had a local dealer flat out tell me not to buy his 752's because he was sick of returns. He had not even gotten the 753 in yet. But like I said before, the 742 seems to have the least problems.

Post Number: 9
Stone,

You are right about those threads but there is also a very recent thread on a HK and Marantz having problems as well and if you read the HK thread, you will have at least one other person mentioning that they have had a problem with their HK as well. As far as the dealer goes, I have had a local dealer tell me never to touch HK for the same reasons so by no means can we follow the words of a dealer IMHO.

Now, I could be wrong since I haven't read any actual numbers on the subject but I am just giving my thoughts on this topic. I feel that as long as it is bought from an authorized dealer (YES, this goes for ALL the receivers mentioned), then Anon should be ok.

Anyhow, from what I have seen, Anon seems to be very worried about NADs quality control, so in that case, I would suggest that he goes for another receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us