Paradigm, Boston Acoustic, B&W...need advise for surround spkrs

Username: Hooterville

Post Number: 1
I have Onkyo AV receiver and need pair of surround spkrs. Mostly for DVDs and sometimes jazz & other music. A speaker repair tech guy recommended: Paradigm Atom, or Boston Acoustics ??, or B& W ?? (something comparable to the Atom.) My front spkrs. are large Advent spkrs.(10" woofer & crossover tweeter) that I bought in 1975. I don't use a subwoofer.

I have heard the Paradigm Atom & Mini Monitor, but I'm not familiar with either the Boston Acoustic or the B&W spkrs. Suggestions please???

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1603
Are you willing to replace the Advents?
The HT guys say it's best when the speakers 'match' in tone and presentation.

You may end up with a sub, too, but that's less certain.

Username: Hooterville

Post Number: 2
No choice but to keep the Advents. They not only deliver awesome sound, they also provide my deep bass. I'll be mounting the rear/side speakers on the wall behind me, about 24" above my head. No choice there either. It's a small room.

So I need suggestions: Paradigm Atom or Boston Acoustic ??? or B&W ??? The Atom has a 5 1/2" driver and a 1" tweeter (highly praised.)

Suggestions?

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13211
Among the three you have listed the Atoms would be your best bet. They are easier on the amp than the B&W's and would blend better than the Boston's.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13212
For less money consider the Wharfedale 9.0. Don't remove the grilles as you will certainly break a pin as I (and countless others) did.

http://www.tsto.com/Wharfedale_Diamond_9_0_Bookshelf_Speakers_p/2829.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us