Harman Kardon and Infinity speaker comp.

Username: Mdc_mack

Post Number: 1
I've recently been looking into buying a sound system for home theater and cd-listening, and I can get a good deal on Harman Kardon/Infinity products. I am planning on purchasing a Harman Kardon AVR 230 receiver, but I have not yet decided on speakers.

I have narrowed down my selection to the Harman Kardan HKTS 7 and the Infinity TSS-450 systems. On comparison of specifications alone, the two systems are quite similar. The Harman Kardon system has a larger subwoofer and slightly larger satellite speakers. I have heard great things about the Infinity speakers, but little about the Harman Kardons. Am I wrong in thinking the Harman Kardon's will sound better (since the same company makes both and the HKs are more expensive)? I have not been able to find any reviews or comparisons with the Infinitys.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 745
Have you listened to both? What sounds good is different to a lot of people.
To me the Infinity TSS sound better than the HK speakers. They sound more detailed as opposed to the HK which sounds a bit too muffled for my taste. The HKs strong area however is the subwoofer.
A lot of people would disagree to what i hear that is why you have to listen yourself.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply Berny. I plan on buying the speakers on the net, and I have not had a chance to listen to the HK speakers since I cannot find a store in town that carries them. I guess I'll just have to keep searching.

Username: Rusty

Post Number: 1
I purcchased apair of infinity Reference 5 speakers in 1992. I still have them to this day and they sound excellent still. I had to replace the rubber surround that goes around the woofer,but other than that these have been some of the best speakers that I have ever purchased!!!

Post Number: 3
I ended up spending quite a bit more money than I had planned on. I ordered the Infinity Primus 5 point surround sound speakers and paired those with the 12" 300 watt rms Infinity ps12 subwoofer. I hope my HK AVR 130 (the 230's were backordered) can power the system well enough. I plan on having this equipment for a while, so hopefully it was a good investment

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 810
are you ever going to get the 230?
Enjoy and happy listening!

Post Number: 4
Actually, I was planning on buying the 130 because the 230 was backordered. The money I saved there will go into the speakers. I'm going to buy the system in a few days, so there's still time to change my mind. However, I figured I'm not going to need component switching (I'll use the TV to do that) and I won't need the extra channel (the primus speakers are 5.1) so the 130 should be fine for my purposes. I'm open to any suggestions you have about switching components, I have pretty limited knowledge when it comes to audio equipment, though I have learned a lot from this site.

swampcat
Unregistered guest
Harmon Kardon and Infinity are both Harmon Kardon. Harmon international . I had Infinity speakers in the 70's say 76-77 had 10 inch woofers and ribbon tweeters .(Not harmon int) Great speakers, My brother still using them just needed to be refoamed (surrounds).

Anonymous

I have been a huge fan of Infinity automotive speakers for years, so I decided to go with their equipment when setting up my home system last year.
I went with the AVR325 refurb and the entra series speakers.
I was NOT disapponted. Enjoy!

Unregistered guest
I own the HK230 with Infinity floor standing Primus 2-ways and a ps-10 sub. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. Ifs you are using this system for music I'd recomend puttin more money towards some full range floor standing fronts. And and less $ on sub perhaps a 10 inch. But good choice with the AVR and infinty you won't be disapointed!

ROCK On
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us