Problem with Marantz SR7400 A/V Receiver

Username: Hadoob024

Post Number: 1
I tried doing some searches on this, but haven't found any answers. Here's my issue. I purchased the SR7400 AV receiver about 4 years ago, and am beginning to have problems with it. It appears that no signals are being sent to my subwoofer any more. Per the instruction manual, I tried unplugging the receiver for over 5 minutes, plugged it back in, and tested it. This solved the issue for about a day. However, the next day, the sub would not work again. I then tried resetting the receiver, but this did not help as well. I'm also running into the issue where regardless of what volume level I leave the receiver at when I turn it off (usually at -50), when I turn it back on, it starts at 0. I can't believe that the unit is defective already. I have another receiver that's in pristine condition going on 20+ years, but I tried Marantz due to its reputation. Any
thoughts?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13549

There are several possibilities but it might be the master processor that is acting up. Your twenty year old receiver doesn't have a processor. Take it to a repair shop and ask for an estimate before OK'ing any repairs.

Post Number: 2
Hmmm... Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Just a faulty unit maybe? I have a technician (from the place I bought my system from) coming out next week to try and figure out what's going on. I guess I'll just have to wait on him. Thanks though.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13550

" Any thoughts on what might be causing this?"

Things break, that's one reason there are technicians.

Post Number: 3
I figured. I'm just shocked. Never had anything that cost this much that broke in the amount of time that it has, especially when I had heard so many good things regarding quality and reliability. Oh well. I'll chalk it up to "the bad unit in the bunch". Thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12180
Planned obsolescence comes to mind.
So does the thinking that too many things have been stuffed into one box for any one's good.

But that's just me.

Post Number: 4
Nice. The "conspiracy" answer. I could see that, it makes sense too. :-)

Are you faulting the industry as a whole though, or just Marantz?

Anyone hear of these kinds of reliability issues with Marantz? Nothing like this ever came up in my research before buying the unit.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12182
The industry and the product conception of all in one.

Post Number: 5
Makes sense. Hmmm... Guess I got no choice but to pony up for the tech to come out here to check it out. Thanks!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12183
Best of luck tb.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13551

The industry has sought out components that have become disposable. You can call it what you like but for the last 60 years building mass market components as cheaply as possible has been the norm. The cheaper thay can be built, they will be built that way.

One thing to consider is large scale IC's do not deal well with power line surges. If you haven't invested in a top notch surge protector lately, this is most likely the cause of the premature death. It is more the constant small peaks that do in these devices and then one larger one comes along and you are calling the tech.

Post Number: 6
Thanks a lot everyone. Yeah, guess I have no choice now. Still, just surprised that this happened so quickly. I'm a tech geek and have a lot of stuff around the house that I've spent a lot of money on, and this receiver is the quickest that I've seen anything get messed up.

Yup. Even invested in a high-end surge protector, so I thought I'd be safe. Everything else connected to this surge protector is doing well, just the receiver.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13554

Three things about surge protectors; 1) if the equipment doesn't have a three pin plug, there is nowhere for the surge protectot to effectively dump the over-voltage. This cuts the value of the surge protector down to half its rated value.

2) If the unit is more than a few years old, it might be time for a replacement, the MVO's in most units wear out after a while.

3) If the problem stems from lightning strikes as it does here in Tornado Alley, most surge protectors do not clamp, unclamp and clamp again with sufficient speed to actually prevent ligntning surges from reaching your components.

Post Number: 7
Hmmm... Well, my surge protector does have the three pin plug.

I guess it is a little bit older now. I bought it with the rest of my system, so it's about five years old now.

That could be it. I live in Atlanta and we do get our fair share of lightening strikes. I guess that could be the cause of it.

Oh well. I guess I'll just see what the tech says when they come out here. Hopefully I can set that up for next Wednesday. I'll update this post with the results.

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Jedi1

Post Number: 41
i my using SR7500. so far so good. and i love this unit very much.. i like the front panel which covered every button........ i done lot of research before i purchased this unit.... (2 years ago at ecoustics)

Username: Westom

Post Number: 1
Let's deal with some of the myths. The most common reason for electronics failures is a manufacturing defect. These are most apparent in the first months. But can even occur years later (ie the famous and widespread electrolytic capacitor failure created by counterfeit material caused failures years later). But many would rather blame that failure on surges because that is the popular myth.

But let's assume a surge did cause your woofer failure. The surge incoming on the most common source -- AC mains when lightning strikes the AC wire somewhere down the street. What do surges seek? Earth ground. Incoming on AC mains. Outgoing via the wire to a woofer, through conductive materials (concrete, linoleum tile, wood) to earth. Both and incoming and outgoing path is necessary to have surge damage.

What does an expensive plug-in protector do? Gives that surge even more paths to find earth destructively via the receiver. Or do you believe that silly little 2 cm MOV stops what even three miles of sky could not?

Protection is about earthing before a surge enters the building. Once inside, a surge hunts for earth destructively via household appliances. A surge earthed by only one 'whole house' protector need not find the same earth, destructively, via appliances.

All appliances contain surge protection. Anything that expensive plug-in protector might do is already inside electronics. So that a rare (maybe once every seven years) surge does not do damage, you earth one 'whole house' protector at the service entrance. Where AC electric, telephone, and cable wires enter a building. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground -- which is why so many 'high end' plug-in protectors also do not claim surge protection in their manufacturer specifications. Which is why a plug-in protector can even give a surge more destructively paths through nearby appliances.

However, the more likely reason for Marantz failure is component failure -- a manufacturing defect.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us