Bi-Amping Klipsch RF10 - Cheap improvement to sound or waste of time/effort?

Bronze Member
Username: I_am_kirk

Post Number: 55
I have a Yamaha Rxv459 Receiver. It's probably a retarded question, so don't jump all over me please . I was just reading around for some cheap tweaks to improve sound. I don't have a ton of money for upgrades or anything. I just noticed the Klipsch RF10 had 2 sets of inputs jumpered together.

Would bi amping do anything for me? I know the sensitivity is pretty high on the Klipsch RF-10, and it may just be a waste of money. I just wanted to confirm somewhere if this would be a cheap way to improve my sound a tad. The receiver is 5.1 and I only use two channels. Just give me the facts and a recommendation.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1725
I think in this case it would be more a case of bi-wiring, since both sets of binding posts run off of the same amplifier. I have the same receiver and I have done the same thing, I noticed no improvement in sound whatsoever. Can't hurt though.

How do you like the sound of the Yamaha with the Klipsch?

Silver Member
Username: Afj

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 152
i havent tried this myself but i;ve heard that you can bi-amp it using your current receiver itself. use your front outputs of the amp for one of the speaker inputs and the rear outputs of the amp for the other inputs. amp needs to be on stereo mode. you wont get too much of a change in sound, but when playing at higher volumes the amp wont flatten out and you'll have more headroom

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
I really like the sound. It can go loud and it's extremely detailed. I've always loved the crisp Klipsch sound. The only problem is with the level of volume and klipsch/yamaha combo, it can get pretty fatiguing.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1726
That's what I've found too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Also, Would it not still be bi-amping because I am using two separate channels (each rated "90wpc" in receiver terms).

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 156
not sure i get you. but using two power outputs to power one speaker would be bi-amping. no harm in trying it. it could decrease fatigue. when amps run out of steam fatigue increase

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Hm. That would be ideal lol. I listen to music for pretty long periods of time at a relatively loud volume.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11101
If y'all mean to use A+B speakers, then there is no increase in power, the same output devices are used for each channel.
In stereo, there is no rear output, unless it is an A+B arrangement.

You are likely to get the best delivery using just 2 channels, as the amp will see a more stable load, and the power supply is delivering its best anyhow.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1729
What Nuck said...

That's what I meant to say when I said that both A and B would be running off the same amplifier. No bi-amping going on here.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
I just meant using the rear channels on the 5.1 as well. My receiver has A + B speaker sets, but they can't both be on at the same time.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1736
Even using the rear channels wouldn't really be bi-amping.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Isn't it the same as using a separate amp (in a sense).

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1737
Nope, cause it's the same amp. All the channels on the receiver are using the same output stage (as Nuck pointed out). That's why a lot of receivers will state their specs something along the lines of "100 watts per channel all channels driven" and "120 watts front channels driven". If your receiver had a seperate output stage (or better yet, separate transformer and output stage for the back channel), then you would be bi-amping.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Oh ok. Thanks :D

So it's a waste of time lol.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1249
I would first replace your receiver with pioneer or pioneer elite and get rid of the yamaha. That will make the largest improvement in the sound. Pioneer is warm and smooth, and goes well with klipsch.

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 161
i guess i stand corrected. hope you come right kirk
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us