Your suggestions for new receiver $750-$1200 range

Username: Ncavman

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, I really enjoy reading the posts on this board. Very educational and fun too.

I have the equipment listed below and am looking to first change the receiver. Later on I will consider better speakers. But for now I need a 7.1 receiver that will be used for 50% movies, 25% HDTV D.D. programming and Xbox, and 25% music. Oh, and I like to listen to things very loud much of the time. I would like to spend $750 - $950 if possible but may go over if there is a real good reason.

So far I have heard Denon 3803 and Yamaha 2400, though not with my speakers, it was at the store with some small Mirage towers. I have also read about the new Onkyo's and Pioneer Elites. Also have not heard NAD or Marantz in person. If I look long enough I will find plenty of good AND bad opinions about all of these. Ultimately I will have to be the final judge but still want your experienced opinions. Your recommendations and reasoning are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

-----------
Room: Bonus room with slanted ceilings. Approx 22'L x 14'W x 8'H at center.

Current receiver - Sony ES DA777 120x5

Mains- Infinity Overture 3's (4 6.5" powered woofers in each)

Rears- Infinity Overture 2's (2 powered 6.5" in each)

Center - Infinty CC3

Mids/effects - Infinity Quadrapole dipoles flush mounted. (not used currently)

Subs- 2 Def Tech PF15TL's

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 68
Since you have had the SonyES you already know what a bright receiver sounds like with your Infinity's and I assume you are not happy since you want to change to something else. IMO the Denon and Yamaha are also bright and wouldn't change the sound of your system very much. I would look at the following; MarantzSR7400, Elitevsx53 and 55, H/K 630 and 7200. The 7200 is on closeout at $899 at a few sites and would be a very substantial upgrade over your Sony as it has true multichannel power in the 150 watt range and a nice warm sound that would be as good match with the Infinity's. That would be my first choice assuming it has enough inputs for your system. Sonically all three brands I mentioned would sound good and all have lots of power in 2 and 5 channel modes.[much more than the Yamaha]
The 7200 and your speakers would blow the walls out of your room if you wanted to.

Post Number: 2
Thanks a bunch that is good info and I will research these and try to arrange an audition.

Happy Holidays-

Post Number: 3
I heard the HK7200 today. I will be auditioning the Pioneer Elites tomorrow. Any one wish to suggest other opinions for < $1000 receivers before I take the plunge? Thanks

Post Number: 7
^ up
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us