Denon AVR-588 or Pioneer VSX-917V

Username: Gcconrad

Post Number: 1
I would like to know which receiver is better and why. I am setting up a cheap home theater in my basement and can purchase either of the these receivers for $299.
I will be using Infinity TSS-450 series speakers.

ANy help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 489
Pioneer. Why? Cause I like mine, although I have no idea how it would match with your speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 921
Pioneer IMO. Pioneer receivers sound better.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 492
What don't you like about Denon, Nick? I almost bought one at Christmas for my secondary system. I've seen a lot of guys around here lately knocking them. Is it the over-inflated wattage rating?

Silver Member

Post Number: 923
That, and to my ears David, they sound like crap. To me they sound very "electronic" and not natural or musical. Just my opinion. Im not a fan. But whos to say there isnt people out there that have a denon as a main unit and their system sounds great. It is just the few times I have heard them I have not been impressed.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2611
To me Pioneers reproduce sound like someone placed a nicely thick wet cloth over the microphones. Awful. The Denons are open and clear with more engaging presentation in my view.

So there! :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 929
LOL. I heard a Pioneer elite in a MOnitor Audio speaker setup and thought the Pioneer sounds too directional, and tinny. But I still think the Denons sound like someone is taking a crap.

LOL Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us