Upgrade to panny xr-55

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 493
I bought one of these panny's maybe 6 months ago when so many of the users on this forum were raving about it. I am very happy with the unit but i do notice the brightness, as it is powering Athena's. This does not really bother me but I also think the receiver looks plain and as I upgrade my system I want something that looks as good as the rest of the equipment.

What would a good upgrade be, something warmer and under $500 probably.
I have seen some upper end HK, Marantz, NAD, Rotels, go on eBay for this price...all of which retail for over a grand.
I love the look of Rotel, but i have heard HK sound is near unbeatable for the price.
thanks everyone

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 34
you heard right IMO, the H/K sound cant be beat for the price, you will hear a very big difference in sound with the H/K vs. the panny, but of course all of those make very good stuff. so I would listen to each brand with your Athena's and see what you think, but you will not go wrong with an H/K.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1554
"I bought one of these panny's maybe 6 months ago when so many of the users on this forum were raving about it."

Their was a very small number of people raving about it. They were pretty loud though.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4954
The Panny or the people?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4955
db, does the Panny have pre-outs? You could add a 5 channel Rotel rb985 amp(or similar).
You get that model for cheap, I have beaten mine near to death, good unit.
Cheap.
How much will it change the sound?
Dunno. Just a good unit to have, mines a spare.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us