Help me pick a direction for my system!

fyang
Unregistered guest
Hi, this is what I'm currently running:

Source: Panasonic FP65 DVD changer
Amp: NAD 302 integrated
Speakers: Paradigm Studio Reference 20v3

I'm torn right now between where to go next with my system. On one hand, I was thinking about getting a new CD player in the $500 CDN range, like the NAD C521BEE since I figure the DVD player is the weak link in my chain right now.

On the other hand, I thought maybe investing in an AV receiver like the NAD T743 or Cambridge Audio Azur 540R and connecting digitally from the DVD player and using the receiver's DAC might net me just as good results, while giving me a better amp with home theatre functionality, though I'm not equipped space- or money-wise to go beyond a 2-channel system right now, nor do I expect to be for a few years. This way, the $500 or so I would have spent on a CD player can go towards getting a decent receiver, which I'd be buying eventually anyway.

So my questions are:
1) will the receiver DACs give me just as good sound as the DACs on a good, dedicated single-disc CD player?
2) Will my receiver be technologically obsolete by the time I'm ready to actually make use of the home theatre-ness of it?
3) What would you recommend I do?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 933
fyang,

Personally I would strongly recommend getting a DVD-Audio player. The NAD T533 is great, andabout US $500, there are others. I have a T533 and it has excellent performance for ordinary CDs.

But even with two-channel, you will notice a big step up in sound quality on DVD-A compared with CD. Especially with a good amp and speakers, which you have.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us