Vintage Amplifier - Sansui AU-555A?

Username: Mitchell_bb

BrisbaneAustralia

Post Number: 4
I've been on the search for an amplifier for a Pro-Ject Debut III turntable and looking in the local classifieds yesterday I spotted a Sansui AU-555A amplifier in excellent condition and at a very cheap price. I need this amplifier for a pair of Grado SR80s, not large speakers. I was just wondering if anyone on this forum had had experience with this amplifier. (The only problem with this unit is the speaker selector switch is not working) I'm not looking for a top top model, im rather young and new to this home audio hobby and thus all im after is an amplifier that can provide good reasonable sound for a good price.

Any Help is greatly appriciated,
Mitchell.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8894

The Sansui offers decent though not great 1970's sound quality. However, Sansui as a compnay departed these shores not long after that model was introduced. No one will service this model (with the few exceptions of those who specialize in vintage repairs at not so vintage prices) and parts are unavailable should there be problems down the road. That said, if the price is low enough to eventually make the amp disposable, there's no reason not to go for the Sansui.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8895

After I hit post, I tried to remember whether the Sansui used an IC headphone output. I really don't remember. Sansui was considered a better product vs. a Pioneer or Technics. But, Sansui was also struggling to survive and was looking to compete on cost with those companies. This amp was produced at a time when the Japanese manufacturers were first involved in using IC's for many functions. If you have the opportunity to ask, I would inquire whether the current owner knows whether the headphone and phono section of the Sansui are discrete components or IC based sections.

Since you have no speakers to drive, you might want to look into only using a vintage pre amplifier. Many pre amps from this age had headphone oputputs and yet offered better sound than an integrated amplifier.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8896

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1157907554

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3520
There you are, Mitchell.
Cool, Jan.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3528
http://www.vintageaudio.com.au/Amps/Sansui/Sansui%20AU-555A%20Integrated%20Amp.h tm

I dig these old units.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8898

Interesting page, Nuck. It's been a long time since I've come across the name Nikko on a piece of HiFi.

Username: Mitchell_bb

BrisbaneAustralia

Post Number: 5
Many thanks for all the responses and links Jan and Nuck, ill see how i go today.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us