NAD 3020, Rotel RA-820B or Quad 606?

Username: Gad905

Post Number: 1
I have a cheapish system - was using an old JVC amp which broke - and am looking to get a new amp ASAP, cos I cannot deal without the tunes. I'm on a budget of preferably under $150; I can get either of the first two for cheap on Ebay and I've been offered the Quad for £100 ($150).
I use a Kenwood DP3080 Cd player and my PC's output from my Creative Audigy 2 ZS card, going through a pair of Spendor BC-1s. Anyone recommend which would be best to go for, or if none of the above are suitable for my system could you recommend anything else?

Cheers

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7859

Take the Quad if you are reasonably certain it is in good shape and has been such over the previous owner's tenure. It's character is far more suitable to the BC-1's. Expect nothing spectacular, just good music. The Quad/Spendor pairing is classic British kit. Steady, dependable musicality is the first order of the system and will provide more than enough insight into the workings of jazz, classical, blues, etc. groups. If balls to the wall volume and drive are your desire, the Quad will seem a bit laid back. I doubt you would have kept the BC-1's working all these years if that was your taste, however.

Username: Gad905

Post Number: 2
Well I got the BC-1s cheap off the same guy who's offering me the quad and I know he keeps his stuff in good nick so I might as well go for the Quad. It makes sense. Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us