Newbie question: What is crossover?

AL
I bought an yamaha 5560 receiver couple weeks ago. I was wondering what is crossover? how do I set it? how do i set my speaker range? I'm kinda lost. My room size is 20X15X18. I hear a very low sound from the rear speakers. How to enhanced that or boost that up? Please help... Thanks in advance...

AL,

Derek
Crossover refers to a frequency where one speakers is limited to a range of sound and another speakers another range. Most speakers cannot reproduce the entire audio range so speciallized drivers with good quality sound for a limited range are made (woofers, midranges, tweeters). Frequencies that these drivers are not good at reproducing are blocked by the crossover. Multiple driver speakers usually have flatter, extended response, lower distortion and better dispersion.

Your receiver probably has a crossover for a subwoofer. This is used to block heavy bass from small main speakers and block easy to detect higher frequencies from a subwoofer. If you listen to your music loud and the subwoofer looses its composure, it does not effect the rest of the system.

Hope this helps.

Derek
Oh yeah, low sound from the rear is normal. It depends upon the mix of the source. You can turn it up by going through a "Speaker Level" setup. Look somewhere in the manual for the words "Test Tone".

AL
Thanks Derek. I found the option on the rear speakers. I set them +7Db. They sound lil louder. Question about subwoofer: I don't have a subwoofer yet, will my receiver allow me to play movies in DTS sound or I must have the subwoofer for the receiver play DTS sound? I have an optical cable connect from dvd player to the receiver. I'm also missing a rear center speaker. How much better in sound quality from PLII to DTS ? Thanks for the help. I hope I make sense :)

AL,

Derek
Set all of your speakers, or at least the ones with woofers - like the front mains, to LARGE. Your receiver should fold the ".1" subwoofer channel to those speakers.

I've heard the rear center surround and thought it works, I find it overrated and hard to place since most people have thier couches against a wall. Just let your receiver know you don't have a rear center. I wouldn't worry about it.

AL
Thanks Derek
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us