Do i need subwoofer for floor standing stereo speakers?

Username: Krisable

Post Number: 3
yes i've already searched the entire forum nobody has asked this specific question before if so not answered anyway

i'm really desperate for help
been wondering
i came across somewhere on the web guide for subwoofer, it goes something like: too much subwoofing is not good.

so i got a set of 3 way floor standing speakers. the bass does the low frequencies/range well. but i'm not certain whether am i enjoying the full low/deep range. my room is small. i'm afraid it might affect the overall sound system in my room if i get a sub. no matter what i'm gg to do some absorption and diffusion eventually.

the guide was telling to balance everything in the range:
floor standing speakers+sub= home theatre
floor standing speakers+ absborption= no sub needed
floor standing speakers+sub=stereo system with no absorption

i guess subwoofer definetely will reproduce low bass with minimal distortion. i want excellent sound quality man. should i get one?

pls help, tks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7042

Excellent sound quality is very expensive. You can spend $5k on a subwoofer alone to get excellent sound quality in the lowest octave of music. That still may not happen until your room is ready for excellent sound quality.

I've had my car two years. Should I buy new tires?

You don't give us any idea what speakers you own or how low the response is from them alone. It would be helpful to know just how deep into the lowest octaves your speakers descend. This is determined by both the low frequency limit the manufacturer states on the spec sheet and what is termed "room gain". This accounts for the additional lift in the low frequencies that all speakers will receive when placed in a listening room as opposed to the chamber the manufacturer uses to gather information. This room gain can amount to an additional octave of response. Using a test CD you can purchase at most music stores, you can estimate just how low your speakers actually go. Try to find a disc with a low frequency sweep that gives you an idea of what frequency is being reproduced.

Then you will need to know just how low the music you listen to goes. Most people over estimate the depth of response they need and find out the music they listen to actually has very little beneath about 50Hz. Most small stand mounted speakers can achieve 50Hz when room gain is added. There is not much point in buying a subwoofer to reproduce frequencies your music never offers.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/audioTopics.php?fpId=8&page_num=2&start=8

On the other hand, you can have more bass with a subwoofer. That doesn't usually equate to excellent bass, but you can have more bass. And, if all the above seems to be just too much effort to decide whether you should consider a subwoofer, you can just buy one and try it in your room. All theory aside, the proof is in the pudding.

Username: Krisable

Post Number: 4
ya man agree, can i get a good sub at less than $300?

i tried on my multimedia speakers, can get more bass by tuning. but sometimes more bass are just irritating to the ears
i get what what u mean by excellent bass

the lower limit of my speakers is 48hz, tts what the specs stated
can you pls eleborate on room gain?
do you mean, the dimensions of my room will affect how low my speakers can go? it hard for me to provide the exact dimensions. but i can say its a pretty small room. big room cant achieve low frequencies very well isn't it?

and i'm certain but not sure that my cds are those low bass kinds. even its not tt really low, getting a sub won't hurt cos i really like sub which provide excellent bass.

thanks for your information

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3516
> ya man agree, can i get a good sub at less than $300?

a B-stock Hsu STF-2 is $350 shipped, that will be more than adequate. (hsuresearch.com)

Otherwise the Mirage S-10 is supposed to be good for music too, $250 shipped from vanns.com but they're sold out.

If your speaker specs say 48Hz then it probably starts to roll off around 80-90Hz so the 48Hz that you do hear is probably around 10db lower than the rest of the frequencies. A decent sub like the Hsu can make up for that with its gain at only 25-50%.

Now of course some people have called me a "basshead" for some funny reason... lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us