Budget Universal - Improvement over 3 yr old DVD?

Bronze Member
Username: Jasperm

Post Number: 18
Hi -

Been reading a lot about Universal DVD players and getting more confused by the second. Currently have a Samsung P721M - about 3 yrs old. It's okay - not fabulous, but okay. Use it for both music and HT. Would like to upgrade to something that plays SACD and DVD-A, without spending a lot given the current flux in formats.

Was considering the Pioneer 588 that just came out.

However, between confusion and limitations in bass management, as well as mixed reviews over whether universal players have good audio vs video, etc. I'm really not sure if this would be a step up or down from my Samsung!

Can someone (over)simplify this for me and give me some opinions? Would something like the Pio 588 or perhaps Samsung 841 or 941 be better, worse or mixed for straight CD audio, SACD and/or DVD-A? Other than upconversion in 941, what about video?

Re: the 941, my tv only has one DVI input so if I use it for a DVD player like the 941, I'll lose the DVI input from my High Def cable box.

Yikes - what a mess!

Help appreciated!

Michael

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1876
Depends on your budget - the Denon DVD-3910 is excellent for all formats and the most future proof (as is the much higher priced 5910), then there's the DVD-2910 which is a great all rounder but with less features.

The Marantz DV-8400 and newer 7400 & 9400 would be worth a look also.

If some of the digital link features and variable crossovers aren't important if you can still find a Denon DVD-2900 for a good price then I wouldn't go past it. Had ours for a year now and it excells at everything we throw at it. superb for DVD-A, SACD, CD and DVD - stunning picture on progessive scan and component connections. Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Jasperm

Post Number: 19
Hi - THanks for input, but I guess you have a different idea of "budget player" than I do - the units you describe are all over $500. The Pioneer is just over $100 right now. I would be willing to spend up to $200. Question is whether I'll see much difference compared to my mediocre Samsung.

THanks!
Michael

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1877
Sorry Michael,

I have no idea of US prices as I live in Aus. I have not heard the Pioneer but have seen good and not so good reports (difficult bass management) on this forum. I can only say that since being able to listen to the DVD-A and SACD (especially the surround discs) formats made my transition to a universal player well worthwhile.

M.R.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us