H/K AVR7200 Vs. PioneerElite VSX-53TX Vs. NADT753

StuckInKansas
Unregistered guest
O.K., here it is!
1. H/K7200 on blowout for $788.00
2. Pioneer 53TX for $650.00.
3. NADT753 for $699.00
4. Marantz SR7400 for $699.00

Receiver to mate with Klipsch RF-3 all the way around and Paradigm Pw2200 sub.

I am "familiar" with all of the adjectives we use to describe these receivers.

ONE ISSUE I am concerned with is RELIABILITY!!!!!
I have read about NAD and Marantz problems!!!!
IT Does scare me!!! I have RARELY read about problems with Pioneer Elite and H/K.

So, CONSIDERING ...SOUND and RELIABILITY, and listening to everything from Heavy Metal to Blues to Pop to Rap, in which order would you rank these receivers.

Is the H/K too warm/laid back ...lacking solid bass?
I read the specs on the P.E. 53tx, it's bandwith is 5k-100khz ...that is warm and bassy, kinda turns me on. Well, considering equal points for music and DVD what order would you rank the receivers in?

Obviously I need to smooth out the Klipsh RF-3's.
But, I don't want a receiver that can't HIT.

Thanks for any and ALL posts!!!
Hawk, elitefan, g-dawg ...need your 2cents!!!

BTW ...not letting me post under my username ...

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 252
Stuck,
Sonically all the brands you mentioned will sound good with Klipsch. Buy whichever you feel most comfortable with. I do think it might be a bit telling that there are few reported problems with the Elite's but then again maybe not. I have never had any problems at all with my old Pioneer 906 or my Elite 45.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Post Number: 246
I basically agree with the above. Although if I were getting an HK instead of a PE 53TX or NAD T753 I would get the HK AVR 630--has more of the new and interesting features than the closeout model.But you won't go wrong with any of the above---all a matter of choice in which features you deem most important.

Sone people like 100 DSP's to alter sound, others would rather have the money in the amp or other areas. I fall in the later area---I only use a couple of sound alterring modes on my PE49TXi. While some are fun for a while, most sound ludicrous to me in the main.

Will D
Unregistered guest
Stuck,

(I also can't post under my username)

I tend to agree with Gregory that the quality of the amplification and sound processing matters more than sound-altering surround modes... Which is part of what got me interested in NAD. NAD offers a clean, minimal design with accurate, powerful amplification and a deep (if not broad) feature set - i.e., it does what it does very well, doesn't have hundreds of bells and whistles.

I bought an NAD 752 a few months back and have been extremely happy with it. Everything sounds indredibly realistic and accurate, but there's still a lot of warmth to the sound. The bass is powerful but tight. I listened to a couple of HK models in same price range and was pleased, but to my tastes the NAD had an edge over the HK - not sure how to describe it, I just felt more "immersed" in the music with the NAD. Either would likely make you happy, in the end it comes down to taste.

As for reliability, I'm tending more and more to agree with Hawk that NAD's problems are overblown, and had to do with a bad early batch of 752 and 751's. Mine has worked perfectly, and from my exchanges with people on this site it sounds like that's the norm.

One reliability thing worth mentioning - I thought I was having a problem with the (very slick) remote that came with my NAD. I contacted the vendor (Saturday Audio - highly recommend them), and they immediately offered to send a replacement, even before I sent the old one back. That is impressive. (It turned out that NAD just sent really cheap batteries w/ the remote - they ran out after a week, but the duracell's I've been using since have lasted 2+ months.)

Bronze Member
Username: Harbolt

Post Number: 49
I currently have the PE VSX-53TX and am using it with Klipsch speakers all around. I am very pleased with the sound thus far. I really like the automatic acoustic EQ function. It helps make setup a breeze. There is one thing I don't like about the Elite line and am not sure why they are not following the other brands in offering this feature. The feature I am referring to is the ability to set different speaker volumes and setups with each mode. For instance, if I am not getting enough bass listening to cd, I can turn the bass up for that but it stays turned up for everything else. With my old HK, I could have my center channel turned off for 5 channel stereo and have the bass turned up on the receiver but when I went to dvd, the center channel would be on and the bass would be at a lower level. I could have different setups like this for each different mode. On the Elite, sadly to say, you cannot do this. It will remember listening modes for each device but will not remember speaker volume or any speaker setups for that matter. I hope I am not confusing you. I don't know any other way to explain it. But, other than that, I have been very pleased with my Elite and Klipsch setup. Let me know if you have any other questions about this model. Thanks.

Brent

StuckInKansas
Unregistered guest
Hello again! Thanks everyone for your time!!!!!
You all know how "mental" things get trying to decide on a receiver! Anyway...

I agree, SOUND is number one in my book ...I'm not concerned with DSP's, Mulit-Zones, etc.
Just solid sound. I KNOW more than one receiver would make me happy.

Brent: Does the 53tx have "cinema eq"? I had read that IT was a sweet feature, tames the "hair" on high octane scenes. Which Klipsh do you have? Any other "quirks" about the 53tx? It's IS weird, some people say the "warm, deep sound of the PE line lacks "detail", or sounds "muffled". Do you sense this. I thought it would be sweet with the Klipsch, but anything overdone is bad in my humble opinion. Oh, where did you pick yours up? Also, how's the remote on your 53tx? Did you listen to any other receivers? What were your thoughts on their sound.
P.S. I am familiary with the MOSFET design, as a guitar player, I've play Marshall AMPS with the MOSFET design. IT is supposed to add warmth to the transistor design, and a little "sag" to sound "tubey".

Will D: So, your very happy with you NAD. How about remote? NO problems at all? No weird hissing, hums, fans, glitches? I have heard wonderfull things about the sound of NAD, just so scared of the bugs. Do you find yourself missing anything feature wise? How about power wise? Wow ...that is some statement, that the NAD was more "immersive" than the H/K. Wow!!! I had always thought of H/K as being the most 3d sound-like, uh ...most luxurious, most rich. But it sounds like NAD is like that?

EliteFan: Dude your all over!!! Thanks for your help!!! So, are you completely happy with your PE. Do you EVER wish you had gone with another receiver. What do you think about all the attention NAD gets.
What adjectives would you use to describe the main difference between NAD and PE.

Gregory: Any model above that "lacks" features, so you would rule it out. Any above with "certain" features that would put it on top?

To ALL: HOw about video performance. Are ALL HDTV compatible?

Thanks, my brain has been near melt-down for the last week, just call me "Cherynobyl"!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
Stuck,
Yes I am completely happy with my Elite 45. It is just such a perfect match with my Monitor Audio Silver speakers that I can't wait to get home everyday and fire up my system. Due to the number of components in my system my choices in receivers is fairly limited and NAD just doesn't have enough inputs for me.I have always liked NAD sonically over the years and would recommend anyone listen to them but for my needs I am relegated to Elite, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo/Integra and maybe Marantz although the Marantz 7400's inputs would max out my stuff. Of these brands the Elite is by far the best match with Monitor's except Marantz and it's very close between those two. I prefer the Elite however. As far as the differences betweeen NAD and Elite I think the NAD is a bit cleaner sounding while the Elite is warmer. Both have very good power supplies and fabulous load tolerance thus their outstanding multichannel power. As I said for my current needs and speakers the Elite is the perfect choice and I know the Elite's sound great with Klipsch as I have heard that combo together for several years. You have lots of good choices and have fun with it. Just make sure to take your own music and movies with you when you shop. Good luck and keep us posted.

Bronze Member
Username: Sgtpeper

Post Number: 66
Stuck - I too have a the PE45 and MA silver series speakers (mine are the S8s and silver centre 12i) I absolutely love my system. I do get the urge to look at other things such as the HK on blow out - which I havent. However all the talk about NAD made me want to hear the new line. I listened to NAD with Maggies and to be honest I wasnt blown away even though I wanted to be. I liked some of the features on the remote better on the NAD such as being able to change the levels of things like the center or the surrounds easily. But in general I did not like its sound as much as I like the sound my system creates. Let your ears do the deciding!
HTH
Jeff

Bronze Member
Username: Harbolt

Post Number: 50
Stuck. The 53tx has the auto cinema EQ feature and it is very nice. It will either align just your front three speakers or do a all channel adjust. I do believe that it makes a difference. The Klipsch I am using are Forte IIs for mains and KG1s for my rear. I think with a little eq adjusting, the receiver sounds great with my Klipsch. Nice and crisp highs as well as good clean bass. I really like the remote on the 53tx because it uses buttons and not touch screen. I haven't found any other querks on the receiver thus far. Hope this helps.

Brent

StuckInKansas
Unregistered guest
Thanks again guys! How about video performance on your respective receivers. Are all capable of HDTV without degradation?

On-Screen Display: Any issues or problems or just plain weird quirks with it on any receivers you guys know of?

Also, I know on the NAD you can control the levels for surround, center and sub, how about the H/K, P.E. or Marantz ...can they do that?

Thanks again!!!

StuckInKansas
Unregistered guest
Elitefan: I'm not sure, but I thought I read a statement from you saying ...
"under $1,000 the H/K AVR7200 is hard to beat"
Am I right or wrong, not sure?
Would the H/K 7200 for $785 sway your decision?
Or ...would you agree with Gregory Stern ...and IF I went with H/K go for the newer AVR630?

Thanks,
Stuck

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
Stuck,
I did say that and it's true. The H/K 7200 is a true powerhouse and the low prices on it lately have been amazing. I can't use it though as it doesn't have enough inputs for me. If it has enough for you it's a steal at $785. The main point I guess is that there are no losers in this bunch we are talking about. Buy whichever you like best.

StuckInKansas
Unregistered guest
Elitefan: You are right on the button, buy which I like best. You know how it is ...decisions running through my head at the speed of light. I HATE buyers remorse!!! So I freak out before I buy ...then hopefully feel good later.
I did the same thing last year when I bought my Klipsh RF-3 system ...still very pleased with it ...especially for $1300 for all five delivered to my door.

As of right now, I'm leaning towards the P.E. VSX53TX Vs. the H/K AVR 7200 based upon their sound with the Klipsh, AND their reliability.

Huummm ....Elite 53tx or H/K 7200?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us