Speaker Question

MiKeK
Unregistered guest
I currently have a Klipsch HT (Synergy bookshelf 2.1/1.1 and center SC1) set-up with a Yamaha receiver and Boston Acoustics sub. I use it mostly for watching DVD movies, sports, and video games. I have thought about changing speakers because I updated my receiver from an older THX Pioneer Elite receiver and the speakers just don't sound the same. I REALLY like the Mirage Omni series but don't want to spend the money. What do you guys think of Cambridge Soundworks speakers? What other small HT speakers would you recommend?

Username: Jim_mcbob

Post Number: 5
Oh MY God! Do NOT get CSW speakers. Under no circumstances. I cannot begin to tell you how much I hate mine--I never even knew what listener fatigue was till I hooked these babies up. The reason I didn't return them after I bought them is that I thought my electronics weren't up to snuff, or I had the satellites improperly placed. Then, with each successive upgrade to my hi-fi, these speakers' annoying tendancies and shortcomings became even more obvious. Bottom line: They are incredibly placement-sensitive, shrill, and inaccurate, which I attribute to the cheap drivers CSW used in the construction of mine. What's more, I deeply resent the way they trot out the name of Henry Kloss to sell their garbage--sick-making! And, since being bought out by Creative Systems (the SoundBlaster/cheapo computer speaker people), they've fallen even further. There are many suggestions hereabouts on what to buy. Please accept my recommendation on what NOT to buy.

I MIGHT salvage the bass unit from my CSW set and use it to fill out the bottom end for a pair of real speakers. Then again, I might just contribute my CSW system to some artificial reef project off the Atlantic coast. Either way, stay away from CSW and you're a step ahead of the game.

MikeK
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info Jim-Bob. I went to tweeter the other day and listened to several of their sub $500 bookshelf speakers. I didn't care for the Polk, Sapphire (sound kind of like Polk), and BA CR series speakers. I still like the Mirage but they did not sound as good as the first time I listened to them. I think I will keep my existing speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 954
Of course your Klipsch don't sound the same. You are driving them with a very different sounding receiver than you previously had. Yamaha's newer units are far better than previous ones but not the best match with Klipsch. The current Elite models are a far better match as is H/K and Marantz. If you can spend the money and want to keep the Klipsch I would sell the Yamaha and go back to a Elite.

mikek
Unregistered guest
thanks litefan, I was also think about that

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
One has to wonder why it is when one doesn't like the message, one shoots the messenger?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2038
tradition?!?

Username: Newpop

Ny, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1
i'm kinda green so any help is much appreciated,
i have a yamaha rxv 1300 and polk all around after reading around i'm still hazy on the optimal impedance setting i should use on the back of the yamaha. the polks are all rated for 8ohm and as of now the yam is switched for 8ohm or higher for all 5 speakers. this can be switched to, mininimum 4ohm for the mains,6ohm or higher for the center, and 6ohm or higher for the rear. question is there risk of damage if i switched or would i get better performance from the speakers? thanks for the help

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2059
It will not get any improvements. You probably read that the output is increased if you are using 4 ohm speakers. But, no, you cannot "fool" the receiver into putting out more wattage by switching it to 4 ohm.

Username: Newpop

Ny, Ny Usa

Post Number: 2
is there any risk if i were to try it?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us