Cheap speakers for mids and highs only?

edster922
Unregistered guest
I am looking to spend $300 or less (prefer around $150 but probably am dreaming) on some small speakers that will be really clear and crisp for the music I often listen to, jazz and classical and a little vocal-dominated rock. Bass is not important since my subwoofer takes care of all that. I have a Pioneer receiver that puts out about 100 watts per channel so the speakers should be able to handle decent power.

I have been told that those tiny Bose cubes aren't bad, though many people here seem to be very critical of Bose and they do seem a bit overpriced and overhyped.

Any alternatives?

thanks for your help!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1931
Try these, a better alternative than Bose and way cheaper. These are the cheapest ones I have heard and actually recommend.
http://www.fluance.com/fldyhidetwbo.html

There's also the Athena ASB-1 or ASB-2

For a bit more, these are outstanding
http://www.axiomaudio.com/m3ti.html

We are talking stereo, right, and not a complete 5.1 set-up?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 914
Check out the Monitor Audio Bronze B1. List is $299 but can be had much cheaper at a few mail order sites like downtownaudio.com. I have a pair in my kitchen and they sound great with my Elite 45.

Silver Member

Post Number: 915
Check out the Monitor Audio Bronze B1. List is $299 but can be had for much less mail order [downtownaudio.com and others]. I have a pair in my kitchen and they sound great with my Elite 45.

Silver Member

Post Number: 916
Sorry for the double post but sometimes this site loads so darn slow.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Berny,

How would the Fluance, Athenas, and Axioms compare to say Infinity Entra, Infinity Primus, or Infinity Beta models?

It will currently be stereo. How would going to a surround setup change my choices?

edster922
Unregistered guest
Berny & therealelitefan,

What do you think of the Polk RTi4 bookshelf speakers?

I'm asking about the Polks and Infinitys because I see lots of good eBay prices on them. Unless there's a reason for that, of course...!

edster922
Unregistered guest
B & TREF,

And to add one more variable into the mix: where would Wharfedale Diamond 8s fall in that spectrum?

It looks like I can either get the Fluance front and center speakers for about the same price shipped as a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.2s to go with my current Wharfedale center.

Username: Trabadoor22

Post Number: 4
I know Infinity Alpha 20 bookshelf speakers are on sale at Crutchfield for $199. They are normally more, but they are last years models. I used to own the Polk Rti 6, Infinity alpha 50 towers, and now I have Polk Monitor towers. I prefer the Infinity's to tell you the truth. I just listened to the newer model Infinity beta bookshelfs and I would much rather have those than my Polk towers. If you decide to go with Polk get the Rti models, the Monitor series are a downgrade I think. Your best bet to decide though is go to a Circuitcity if there is one near you since I know they have both available.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2000
I'd pick the Axioms and Athenas over the Infinity Entra. But I would pick the Beta and Primus over the Fluance.
Don't get me wrong, the Fluance is an excellent set of entry level speakers. Not a big fan of Wharfedale Diamond 8s.

Silver Member

Post Number: 957
Circuit City no longer carries the Polk Rti series. Polk developed the Monitor series expressly for CC. If you see any RTi's at CC they are old inventory that hasn't sold yet. I would hold out for the RTi's.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Whelp, you get what you pay for, I guess: I opted for Polk R20s for $80 a pair at CC on Black Friday.

Found that they deliver great bass but not much else, and they distort quickly at high volumes---so switched them out with an old pair of Mordaunt Short MS05 speakers I had in my bedroom.

Wow, what a difference! The tiny Mordaunt Shorts blew them clear out of the water---beautiful mids and highs, and zero distortion at near-maximum volumes! It's too bad that MS is so hard to find here in the US (I bought them in Saudi Arabia about 7 years ago) but I am now more sold on them than ever.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us