Possible to blow out receiver with wrong speakers?

Unregistered guest
I have a newbie question. Let's say I was looking to buy a surround receiver (Onkyo HT-R520) that states it has an 8 ohm impedance and the surround speakers that come with it have 8 ohm impedance. Then I want to hook up another set of speakers (stated to have 6 ohm impedance) to the B channel which has the same impedance as the A channel. Can I damage my receiver by mixing these impedances?

The reason I'm asking is my brother has a set of speakers (Infinity RS Five) that are quite old and he's used them for years. He had a receiver (Magnum Dynalab MD-208) that seemed to either blow out or have difficulties after a while with these speakers. I think he went through 2 of these units and also third unit that was adcom I believe. Is it possible that the speakers are bad and are damaging receivers? What can I do to these speakers to see if they would kill a receiver that I bought? Is there some place I can take it for diagnostic tests or some type of test I could do?

I would really like to know because the current set of speakers that come with the surround receiver don't really cut it for pure music listening and my brother is looking to give these speakers away if I could use them. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Azeiku

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 762
Mixing 8 and 6 ohm speakers should be no problem. My Monitor Audio system is a mixture and poses no problem at all. If you are going to use these 6 ohm speakers by themselves then you should be ok.

Unregistered guest
Cool.. thanks. What about diagnostics to see if the speakers are damaged. Like have a short or something strange. Anyone know about that type of stuff?

Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us