Replacing Paradigms Titans as fronts with Athena ASF2 with NAD 752 good idea ?

Username: Mathbrisk

Post Number: 1
Almost a year ago, I upgraded my crappy Pioneer amp to the wonderful NAD T752.

So far, I have been using a combination of 4 paradigm titans, a CC 170 and a Dbox sub for speakrs. Everything is hooked up trough Accoustic research Master series (really nice cables for the price).

I am now quitting Futureshop and am wondering if its worth the upgrade (going from Titans as front to Athena AS F2) ? I obviously get great price reduction at staff purchase and so, this is a one time deal for me now.

Thanks for any help, greatly appreciated.

Need you toughts by thursday

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1572
Is it worth it to YOU??? Have you listened to your new intended speakers? That really matters here.
The Athena ASF-2 makes for excellent mains but may sound a little more forward than the Titans.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 689
I wouldn't switch from Paradigm's to Athena but would instead upgrade your Titan mains to a higher Paradigm speaker, whatever your budget allows. Athena mains with a Paradigm center doesn't make sense to me. Keep your system all Paradigm.

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 96
I agree and can't overemphasize the advantage of matching your speakers.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the inputs. Well this is stricly a budget releated question. I don't feel like I need to upgrade my HT right now, it's just that at the price I'd grab the Athena (something like 350 $ Can, 280 $ US for the pair) it might have been worth it. I really love the sound of the Athenas (listened to them connected to an HK 525).

So Athena + Paradigm = no good ? Thanks :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1574
Yup, I'd call it a total mismatch, however, if you can get the Athena Center ASC, your golden!

Post Number: 3
Cool, so if I'd replace both fronts and center with athena it would be a worthwhile investment (improvement over cc 170 and Titans) ? I can probably do that. Titans as rear are really great.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1575
It depends really on how you prefer your sound. I hesitate to call it an improvement as the Titans are great speakers. I'm leaning towards different rather than improvement. Only thing I didn't like with the Titan is the construction.

Bronze Member
Username: Maximo

Post Number: 21
I have the asf-2's and the hk525 and really enjoy them. I highly recommend them to anybody who asks. However, I haven't heard the Titans. I have heard the Paradigm Atom speakers, and they sound really good. However, I prefer the crisp sound of the Athena's tweeters. You really need to compare them and decide for yourself. If would be great if you could try them out on the same reciever in your house. Now that would be the ulitmate test. Could you take them home and try them out?

BrianL
Unregistered guest
Berny,

Out of curiosity, what is it you don't prefer with the Titan construction? I'm new and learning!

Thanks
Brian

Gold Member

Post Number: 1699
The rear bass port and the plastic backing and the MDF seems a tad thin, probably explains its light weight. But for some reason they made it work.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us