HT receiver only

hoosier hooch
Unregistered guest
I've got a dedicated media room (~450 sq ft.) and will not using this receiver for music, just 7.1 for movies and football watching on a 106" screen. I don't need 2 zone capability (but don't most have it anyway?). I'll be powering Axiom speakers all around (M60 towers).

Judging from many threads on this forum, it sounds like there's not much performance difference between receivers at a given price point when we're dealing with HT only. I've been leaning towards the Yamaha HTR and RX lines and the Denon 3805. I see HK and Marantz get good pub also. I'm willing to pay ~$900, but don't want to pay for features/benefits that are of no use to me.

My questions: 1)Do I need to spend that much since it's for HT only and don't care what music sounds like? 2) Which of the brands I mention is best for HT only....or is it still a preference thing?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1691
It is still a preference thing. The HK and Marantz have excellent power supplies and should stack up well to the demands of surround sound.
Also, take a look at some of the NAD has to offer in your price range. An excellent no frills receiver.

hoosier hooch
Unregistered guest
Dang it! Won't somebody please make a decision for me? :-)

Thanks for the suggestions, Berny. I have not researched NAD...but will shortly.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 148
Based on the size of your room I would eliminate the Yamaha HTR line.

Like Berny said, the HK and Marantz have superior power supplies and will give a better overall sound presentation.

I would also look at the NAD T753/T763.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us