NAD or Cambrdige Audio?

Username: Agimat

Canada

Post Number: 6
Which of these two has better sound quality in music? sometimes HT? when matching with good speaker.Do I have to return my T743 in replace of Cam. Audio? coz I really bother by the hiss issue of NAD.

I need your help guys! Thanks

Username: Taxi1958

AUS

Post Number: 1
Have test run both NAD and 540R, NAD is much faster and brighter, a bit harsh, 540R is as smooth as silk, great image and balance, just sold all my NAD geat to go to Cambridge. Old NAD beeter sound than new, NAD C340 was a great amp compared with new NAD. Watch out for power supply problems causing hiss and hum.

Canada

Post Number: 7
Thanks Dave. I will see a dealer tomorrow to audition the Cam Audio, a bit scared coz I think this is their first AV receiver. How's yours?performance? and what are your speakers?

AUS

Post Number: 4
Hi Laz, yes it is but they have an excellent record of making top grade gear. The first releases had some problems, much of them have been solved.

Have probably had the amp running about 30 hours do date, have noticed a hum from the transformer, quite noticable between tracks is sitting within 1.5 meters of unit. Have seen comments on newsgroups that this sound diminishes over time, also I have been alerted to possible problem with power supply may cause this. Not a big issue but there you have it.

Also playing amp at about -20db for 15 minutes got the fan running, quite a surprise, makes me wonder how it is going to get on with all channels driven. How much has it got left, really surprsed about the lack of grunt in comparison with the NAD C340 rated at 50watts. Ventilation is important, must have 100mm above and I am now going to raise to improve convection space underneath, will cut a couple of squash ball in half, helps with mechanical separation too.

The sound is very warm and open, very happy with the image, but still not up to the NAD C340 in speed and detail, hope this improves. Bottom end is very deep and warm, still not as tight as NAD, although NAD doesn't appear to go as low.

Gain (volume) control is excellent, great increments and that the control is not motor driven, waste of time. Only annoyance is that it doesn't have a memory, so every time you fire up the amp it is at -51db, not loud but louder than is preferable.

Display is great in subdued light, but in a brightly lit room with lots of windows, it has a really nasty reflective nature, makes it just about impossible to see display except in certain angles.

When changing input modes annoying click, which is below par for an amp of this quality.

Remote is very swish and solid, but the curved back means it easily rolls off the armrest of the couch, which is a likely location, also top heavy nature due to aluminium from doesn't help, flat bottom remotes are far more stable.

Tuner section is fabulous, sweeter and much better reception than my NAD 402, which was top of its class, so very happy, as I do listen to a lot of JJJ and ABC Classic, especially Jazz Trax.

Connected the old turntable last night for the first time DUAL 505, NAD 9200 Cart and QED pre amp. What a surprise, it must just sinc but the sound is great, connected the Tables Ground to the botton AM radio connector, (ground) and really works well, not audiophile but good enough for me. Pitty they don't have a phono upgrade like the straight amps.

All in all it's a great amp and really looking forward to giving the surround features a run, looking at using Bose 161 or KEF Q series.

Don't get me wrong with these observations, I love this amp, bang for buck it is really fabulous. Better to know than get a surprise.

Speakers I use are DEX Deserie 900s, Australian Recording Studio speakers, very fast , big and efficient. 2 x 300mm and 2x dome highs, check out this URL, photo on front page shows 450s speakers, I have big brothers, a mirror box 900's, this is serious kit. http://www.dexaudio.com.au/html/profile_101.html

Anyway hope some of this was of assistance and didn't put you off.

AUS

Post Number: 5
By the way I bought the Black, great colour, silver one you can't read the lettering, regards.

Canada

Post Number: 9
Thanks for the info.

Unregistered guest
NAD in the US has a terrible reputation for repsonding to inquiries about parts, getting the parts and charging too much for the parts. I can't recommend that anyone consider getting any NAD equipment. They used to be good (we have an amp and a tuner that have lasted -well forever, but the new stuff has no integrity behind it.

Bronze Member
Username: Stevetaylor

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 16
To counter the negative NAD posts I'll post a positive one. I disagree with NAD lack of response to problems.

I had a problem with my NAD T763. I emailed NAD and got a response in three hours. I corresponded a number of times on the issue and always got an immediate response. Brought the unit for service, it was promptly fixed and have been enjoying it since.

I have read the other posts on lack of response but I do not think it's a pervasive problem with NAD. Don't let this stop you from buying NAD.

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
I own the T773 And the sound is amazing. I don't think that you will find a better format (at the receiver level) for sound than the EARS. You can find "pop" formats but non of them will be the same as the EARS!

Enjoy, Daniel

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Dave Francis

I now have a CA 540r for home audition. Your previous post were all right.It sounds crystal clear, very warm and the bass goes deep and tight.I was surprised when I saw that it used a torroidal transformer( same to NAD's higher model ) which is more efficient and reduces noise compare to laminated one.The price is a bargain. The power and features are comparable to NAD T753 at almost half the price and the sound is better.Over all compared to NAD T743 that I returned, CA 540R is really a winner.BTW my speakers are MA B2,these are the speakers that I can afford for now that is why I want to build a budget system that will sound really good.This is not yet final since I'm waiting for the arrival of the Marantz SR5500 to make a comparison. But for now I'm happy with this receiver, fits my budget, excellent sound and no hiss....and no headache

Thanks to Dave Francis and Markus of Toronto Canada for the review.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us