JL, Adire, ID, or Vega's. All out Sound Quality

Silver Member
Username: Jamtochristian

Williamsport, Pennsylvania USA of course!

Post Number: 137
I'm building a completely SQ system, and I'm looking to swap out my current SPL sub with more of a Sound Quality Subwoofer with more Musical properties over anything. The idea here is to no have my system just booming out loud noise... no no. Its about actually hearing the strings on the bass guitar or the foot drums.
Either way... I've been looking, and I've narrowed it to the following. Lets please keep in mind that I have to have either 10's or 12's, due to the fact that I'm doing a fiberglass enclosure on the deck of my trunk(I'll post pics of the install(it'll be crazy)).
Anyway, here is what I've come up with and why.

JL Audio W6V2 10's or 12's - I was at the local shop the other day and had a chance to hear these, they were descent, I also like the small box ability, but to be honest JL aren't all that reputable for a NICE SQ sub.

Image Dynamics IDQ**V.2 - I've seen several sound quality comp systems that have used this sub and have had satisfactory results.

Adire Shivas - These are a nice sub, and for their price. Not bad. However, I have no hands on experience, and can someone please inform me of the impedance on these... also DVC or SVC. I've seen multi sources tell many different things.

Cerwin Vega VMAX OR HED - I just installed a set of these in a ported box(vmax) for a friend of mine, the 15s that is. They're pretty sweet, but his has it all setup for SPL. Also, the HED's are a nice price, and have been rumored to have descent SQ.

Can someone who has experience with all or just some of these based on SQ make some recommendations. I realize that this is somewhat of a subjective environment, and I'm seen several posts before about each of these, but I was just kinda hoping to put it all to rest before I go buying.

Thanks everyone.

Anonymous

you may wanna think about Adire Brahma's...they have GREAT SQ!!!

i have one...you can make out every beat of every drum...it sounds like there is a guy w/ a set of drums in my back seat!!!

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 901
I'd do an ID Max for a sound quality install, 10's would work nice. If you liked the IDQ, you'll LOVE the ID Max's sound quality, better than an IDQ by far IMHO. An aperiodic chamber would do well with that sub, and SQ is top notch. One of the most detailed subs out there, Brahmas are nice, too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
Okay the only thing I have against the ID Max and the Brahma is that they require much more wattage, and wattage isn't the best thing for me to go getting that high of. The reason being that the alternators for my vehicle are a might scarce in really higher ranges.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 920
The 1000 and 1600W RMS is thermal. It isn't a power requirement. A Brahma will work perfectly with 600W RMS, and will work with even less than that. The ID Max doesn't necessarily need 1000W either. If you underpower them, you'll still get great sound quality, but you won't get the full potential out of the subwoofers, and you'll have to be careful to avoid clipping.

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
okay, all I'm really trying to say is are you sure its worth it for me to get the IDMAX over say the IDQ's? Considering sq and the power difference?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 932
I think it is, but you should listen to both if possible and make your own decision.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us