Thanks to JON,MATT,GLASS,BACON!

Bronze Member
Username: Virulentv

Post Number: 31
i would like to thank all you guys specially JON for building up my second system. nothing really big, as usual short on moullah but sounds beautiful ..
HU: kenwood (some mpv with mp3playback)
fronts: infinity 6002i
rear: pioneer ts6980
amp: hifonics brutus 1000d
sub: id max 12
enclosure: 1.31 cu ft sealed

the sub is beautiful ... i still have to break into it.... for some reason as mentioned on sounddomain.com that it would break SPL comps, so to that its not that loud ... probably my alternator isnt pushing enough current for 1 ohm load. for $100-$150 i can get the alternator wound up a little bit which according to sources would show a difference of 30A, is it really worth it ?
i pushed the Level knob on the amp to full and the sub wasnt showin any distortion , was just wondering if its healthy for the sub and the amp to keep it to full ... i couldnt understand the phase knob... i didnt notice no difference ... the thing about this 12 is its freakin so damn clean ! it hits you like a 10 and it goes deep too ! anyways the point is THANKYOU JONATHAN, GLASS, MATT, BACON & all others with their posts!

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 907
It depends on what the factory alternator puts out. That amp is going to pull over 100A continuous at full power. The gain shouldn't be all the way up, the voltage rails may be sagging. Make sure the power and ground cable is the proper size. With that system, depending on if you plan to get an amp for the front/rear speakers, you'll need around a 160A alternator for the charging system to get good headroom. It also depends on it the car has a lot of accessories to be run, which pull even more current. After that point, you could consider a large capacitor for the amplifier to smooth out the peaks, and supply power for the demanding portions of music (such as repeated bass notes, or really deep notes requiring a lot of power), from 2-3 farad will do nicely. If you're looking for more output from the sub, consider building a ported box, if you tune low, then you can still get great SQ and more output (3db give or take, the same as adding another sub). It'll make a noticeable difference as well. Don't push the sub too hard, it'll need to break in for 20-40 hours, and the output won't be quite it's best until it's broken in (suspension is tight, has to break in and loosen up). This is especially important with very high end subs such as yours, the suspension is tighter for more control and SQ, so it may be tighter than most subs you're used to. What kind of car is it? If the sub is in a trunk, consider coupling the trunk with the cabin, this is done via holes in the package tray (usually limited to systems w/o rear speakers) or something as simple as folding down the rear seats. This will give more output, sometime a huge difference depending on the vehicle.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
well, i do plan to add an amp for my fronts but thats when i get a nice set of components. i wouldnt wanna go in a ported box and loose even an inch of accuracy... i would rather wait for a little while and add a sub later on. for now one sub is enough and i would just wanna think of getting an alternator. my car is 1997 Mitsubishi Galant and i think the alternator rite now puts out less then 90amp... i couldnt find an alternator for this as you suggested. would really appreciate if you could find one or tell me couple that i could search for on the web or locally in junk yards :D. thanks alot !

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
well, i do plan to add an amp for my fronts but thats when i get a nice set of components. i wouldnt wanna go in a ported box and loose even an inch of accuracy... i would rather wait for a little while and add a sub later on. for now one sub is enough and i would just wanna think of getting an alternator. my car is 1997 Mitsubishi Galant and i think the alternator rite now puts out less then 90amp... i couldnt find an alternator for this as you suggested. would really appreciate if you could find one or tell me couple that i could search for on the web or locally in junk yards :D. thanks alot !

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 949
If you can't find an alternator to buy online, go to a shop that can rewind your stock alternator (if they can get the proper power output out of it) or consider having one custom made. Go to www.mralternator.com for email information, you can give your car and year model and they'll give you a quote on if they can build an alternator and what it'll cost.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us