What type of box is this?

Username: Pinhead

Lenexa, KS US

Post Number: 3
I've got a home stereo system with a subwoofer. It's a Phillips FW-P78. The sub is only like 6.5" but will rattle the walls. I can't imagine the sub is donig all of the work, so I'm assuming it's the box. Does anyone know how I can build that type of box around, say one of my 10" Kicker CVR's? If that 6.5 hits so dang hard, I can't imagine how my Kickers would sound.

Bronze Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 37
its probably in a ported box. On the box is there what looks like to be a hole? If not its just in a sealed box and is performing very well.

Username: Pinhead

Lenexa, KS US

Post Number: 4
It is ported, but I just thought there has to be more to it than a simple tuned ported box. I've never heard that small of speaker put out that much bass. Doesn't Bose have a special design for their enclosures to make the bass more lifelike when using smaller drivers? I'd like to get my hands on the design and build my own.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4015
BOSE uses transmission line and folded horn enclosures for their subs.
yours may be just ported, but it's more likely either a bandpass enclosure or it's a servo-sub enclosure which si most likely for home subs.
I didn't look up the model so this is all speculation.

the problem with things like transmission line and horn enclosures is that they're extremely hard to design, take up considerable space compared to more conventional box designs, and they tend to have other shortcomings similar to bandpass enclosures.
there's no perfect box, so you'll always have trade-offs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us