Need Help, brain fried.......Too many amp choices......What is best for me?

Username: Vesuccio

Post Number: 1
What's up everybody,
This is my predicament; I am slowly piecing together a balanced system but I am still in college and cannot afford top of the line stuff. For a start I have purchased what I think are decent speakers, Infinity's Reference series: one set of the 6 1/2 in. 6000cs Component speakers 90W RMS (front doors and dash) and a pair of 6 1/2 in. 6002si 2-way 50W RMS (rear doors). Sometime in the future I plan on adding a sub, but for now I am focusing on my door speakers. I need an amp to push these speakers (preferably a 4 channel), but with all of the choices out there I have no idea where to start. Also, since I will be adding a sub in future I would like to only run the amp wiring once. Any ideas on good amps and amp wiring kits would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3831
consider forgetting rear fill and spending more on a good front stage like a pair of Kappa Perfect 6.1 components.
then bridge a 4 channel amp into 2 channels to drive the fronts.
the amp kit will depend on the size of the amps you choose.

Post Number: 2
From what I have been reading on this message board the perfects seem like the way to go. Any recommendations on 2 channel amps to push the kappa perfects? Also, would a set of mids sound good in the rear doors or should I go with a sub in trunk?

Thanks

Post Number: 3
From what I have been reading on this message board the perfects seem like the way to go. Any recommendations on 2 channel amps to push the kappa perfects? Also, would a set of mids sound good in the rear doors or should I go with a sub in trunk?

Thanks

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3845
I'd definately use subs with a separate amp.
you can use midbass in the rear doors, sure, but amp those with the 4 channel amp and set those back 2 channels to mono, and use a bandpass filter to trim the midbass drivers. here more info on rear fill technique:
http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=51.topic

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the article, it was a real help.

Post Number: 5
When I am looking for an amp, should I make sure the frequency response of the amp covers the frequency response of the speakers?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3894
yes. you'll want a class AB amp.
class D amps are only for subs.

Post Number: 6
A specific example of what I am talking about is this; the JL 300/2 has a frequency response range of 50Hz-30KHz, while the Kicker KX450.2 has a range of 20Hz-20KHz. My kappa perfects have a range from 75Hz-23KHz; would the JL 300/2 be a better choice because it covers the entire frequency range of the speakers or do the frequency ranges on speakers and amps not have to match/overlap. It seems to me if I were to choose the Kicker I would be losing the higher frequencies since the Kicker amp does not function above 20KHz. Am I thinking about this right?

Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us