2x 10w6 versus 2x 10w7

Username: Syron

Post Number: 1
I've got a 03 Corvette that I'm switching out the stereo system. I'm willing to dump some cash into this. Cash isn't a top priority, but still something to consider. I've already picked out a head unit that has 5v preamp out.

Now comes the question! I'm going to put either 2 10w6's or 2 10w7's in a custom fiberglass box similar to: http://www.tccustomz.com/inc/sdetail/80/816

I've read that the 10w6's have a fuller sound range, and the 10w7's hit harder. Sound quality is more important, yet I also want to hit hard when showing off. Which would be better for my case? Also, which JL amp should I go with? Would a 1000v1 amp be good for the two subs?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11886
" Sound quality is more important, yet I also want to hit hard when showing off. Which would be better for my case? "

In that case, the W7. Anything JL makes sounds damn good. The W6 is strictly SQ and I think it will disappoint you in terms of output.

" Also, which JL amp should I go with? Would a 1000v1 amp be good for the two subs? "

That would be perfect, yes.

That is all assuming you are stuck on JL for whatever reason. If you're open to options you can build a system just as good for a lot less.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3455
as he said ^, the w6 is an SQ sub, and is highly regarded as so. the w7 is meant for more output but still retains fairly good sq.

by show off, do you mean flaunt the JL brand? or the sound reproduction? if you aren't worried about name we can recommend you some great equipment that can save you some cash and sound just as good if not better.

Post Number: 2
I'm not stuck on JL, I've just heard that they are the best. I want something that will blow people away, yet sound amazing on a daily basis. What are your thoughts?

Bronze Member
Username: Tuloud

Post Number: 24
look into
dd audio
fi audio
audioque
and look into the archives on this site there is alot of people that have asked the same question on different treads. In my opinion the w7 sounds great thou and is pretty high on the list regarding subs.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3458
assuming you are staying with your OEM alternator you should look into subs that handle around the 500wrms range.

a sub that is comparable to the w6 is an Image Dynamics IDQ. since you are looking for something of sq orientation i wouldn't recommend dd, fi or audioque. all great companies but what they offer doesn't fit your needs IMO.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1567
Go with the w7s. Reasoning being is because the 10 w7s will have the displacement of a 12w6. So even though they're 10's, they'll play as if they were 12's. This is due to the overall cone area and excursion of the sub (displacement). Go sealed and these subs will hit hard, play deep and sound great no matter what you play on them.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11887
Yes W7s are good.

Also look into a Fi Q.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the help. I think I will be going with the 7's. There doesn't seem to be any easy way to buy DD, Fi's, or even Audioques.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11894
ficaraudio.com

Doesn't get any easier than that... same for Audioques website, but I don't recommend those subs for your application.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1568
If you're looking to save some cash the Fi Q 10's would be a great second option.

Post Number: 4
Would the Fi Q 10's be a better sound than the JL?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us