Questions about door speakers

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 434
I am moving away from the bass a bit and focusing more on my door speakers sounding as good as they can with my walmart crap HU. I want to mount the speaks on the outside of door panel, and was rollin some things around. I listened to a feller's radio with factory speaks and they were really kinda punchy with the mid-bass. I want a full range, cuz right now, all the lows are coming from my sub, which is tuned to 28, and my door speaks (sony xplod 6x9s)(3 ways) are doing everything else. They are crisp and loud, but they don't do well with bass or mid-high bass at all, it gets distorted. Therefore, there is a huge gap in my frequency range. I was wondering:

1. Would it help if the speaks were in a sealed enclosure in the door?

2. OK, this is not ghetto, but I was thinking of a tractor intertube cut to shape that would droop down inside the door panel with metal tines or straps to hold it's shape and would be an effective, form-fitting enclosure. It would give a lil to the speaker while it excurts, so...I dunno

3. should i just get mid-bass drivers?

4. Or should i just get door speaks that will handle the bass better?

I had got some memphis 6.5s but I returned them cuz money issues. I am not in a situation right now where i can spend money. on anything.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11751
Ok, lets back up a step here. What you're wanting is good midbass. Usually, in systems that lack midbass, the install is almost always the problem not the speakers. Even stock speakers are often quite good in the midrange, and any speakers can do a decent job.

What you need to either make some sort of enclosure for the speakers which is tuff, or make the whole door the enclosure (easier). Line the door behind the trim panel with sound deadener and make sure the inside of the door is sealed off from the cabin as best it can be (will never be completely). And don't mount speakers to the trim panel instead of the metal door, that will suck big time.

To answer your specific questions:

1) Yes but only if it's large enough which is usually not possible, using the door as an enclosure usually works better.

2) Yes that is ghetto

3) Components are the best way to go, then you have a midrange speaker and a tweeter.

4) I am almost sure the speakers ain't the problem. Enclosure.

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 277
You can buy kick-pods online for 6.5's, you can stash them in the corner on the floor but hey that's pretty ghetto or you can mount them in the door but that involves cutting it up or never knowing the targeted response because it'll never be completely sealed. You could fiberglass the entire inside of the door for a small enclosure. Fiberglassing is the way to go but then again you don't always have the perfect air-space because of angles. At the worst, duct-tape it to the door and then fiberglass over the duct-tape. It'll stick out but whatever, maybe someones leg won't hit it. Remember that you're never in the targeted listening position because you're sitting more to the left. The left speaker should be aimed at the right-side and vice versa. I'm not sure but it makes sense. If you don't want door flex than buy kick-pods and stash them in the corner on the floor and get grills. Maybe it'll have a really small footprint.

Are you talking about the bose wave music system design? It's like a long port off the back of a tiny speaker.

Dedicated midbass is always better but find some components that can dig down to 60 Hz or wherever you have the high-pass crossed at for the sub. Even buy two sets of 6.5's and cross them over differently, one that controls 60-200ish Hz and the other takes the rest. You would atleast get the same raw sound and they'd mix well.

CDT Audio is cheap & good, they have won many trophies. The problem with their site is they have SO MANY selections that you have no idea of which to buy.

The install, the angle of the speakers is going to decide the sound-stage and imaging AKA how much the speakers make you feel like you're in a big room versus a vehicle, more so than different speakers, besides 6x9s.

Toss the 6x9s. They all suck, especially Sony Xplods. I had them unamped for rears and they were #1 for distortion of any speaker I've ever heard, even my 3" computer speakers.

On partsexpress Peerless has $8 5.25's if you buy 4 at a time! THAT'S MAD CHEAP SON! Find two 8's or 6.5's that can handle 60-whatever Hz and you're good.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 278
You can also just change the mounting ring by cutting (maybe) & adding different mounts, you'd want to deaden the doors in that case. Dunno how much space you'd be working with so...

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 699
Lord Huggington, you got a link to those $8 5.25s?

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 281
It's not there anymore so that is just sucking.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 282
I was looking in the speaker section (it's classified as a sub). Too bad they sold out, they'd have made some great mids - frequency response 57-7000 Hz.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-242

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3309
Heres some $8 Peerless mids,they look decent and got good reviews.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-063

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11754
He said he can't be spending much money right now, or I would have recommended good speakers as well. Agreed on CDT, they are my favorite speakers I've had.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 435
MS that's kinda where I was going with the intertube idea. It would kinda be like fiberglassing the leaky seals, cuz it would use most of the door as the enclosure and it would conform to fit wherever. But anyways, do yall think that's why the midrange sucks so bad? cuz the door and install? Or the speakers? Probably both. The surround on the noXplode is like a thin vinyl joke. They are unamped and get stupid loud tho, and crisp. I guess I will just blast em until I get some money together then I will change things up a bit......

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11755
Both. But most of it's the install.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us