New to sub setups - Need help

Username: 2fast4y0u

Post Number: 1
I got a Alpine type-x 12" + Alpine Mrd-m1005 amp > Specs if needed http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_14926_Alpine_MRD-M1005.aspx
and a 1.0 farad lightning audio cap - i know nothing about audio - do i need 4 or 2 guage cable and what sized fuze and whats teh benefit of a cap vs a battery. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2139
ditch the cap, it will do more harm than good for your electrical.

Post Number: 2
what does a cap do i'll be puttin this in a 97 eclipse .. do need a diff alternator or anything

Silver Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 131
Though you're getting close, for that setup you almost definitely don't need an alt. upgrade, as I believe your stock alt. is 90A.

In theory, capacitors store power during intervals when it is not required, which is most of the time, and release it when momentary peak demand exceeds what is available from the car's power system.

Btw, on the link you posted it directly states: "Requires 4-gauge power and ground leads and 80 amp fuse"

Post Number: 3
alright sorry for all the questions that may seem done i know nothing. So at 1000rms the 4 guage wire and stock everything (other than headunit) should hold up right? Don't need a good battery or anything else? and ditch the cap. I'll take the recommendation - so what he's saying is the system will drawl more energy when it's only drawling a small amount but when it does drawl the large amount my headlights will dim right? bc the system can't supply all the electrical with the total ammount of electricity that i needs. So what's your opnino on this then? Just figuring I would ask everyone - i know nothing and thank you all for your time!!

Post Number: 4
ahah didn't see ur btw - I looks up that page in 2 secs jst so you wouldnt have to look up the rms, etc and didn't really read it. Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15625
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp ...

Post Number: 5
yes i've seen that chart i could do 2-4guage

Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
Provided you don't have some ridiculously long cable run, 4ga. should be just fine.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15628
if ur thinking about buying 2G u might as well get 0g since its not that much more $ & u wont have to upgrade wires if ur upgrading ur amps later on ....

Post Number: 6
It's prob gonna be around 8ft so i was hoping to do 4 gauge - i can get 20ft of 4 guage for $20 + $5 for fuze/holder - anymore input on the cap? Thanks!!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15630
dont bother with a cap

im sure ur using another amp for ur door speakers right ? so u need to take into acct that extra current draw so add that to ur bass amp for the total ...

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
x2^

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4112
what brand of 4 ga. are you getting at that price? You might want to check the thread count.. some cheap 4 ga. have the thread count as a good 8 ga. with a thicker coating.. just a heads up..

Post Number: 7
I'm buying the Alpine Type-R SPR-17S front speakers for christmas - and i have another amp idk spx 800watt but dont know the rms to run to the front speakers - this is the cable > Monster Cable 4 guage?

Post Number: 8
http://cgi.ebay.com/MONSTER-CABLE-12-FEET-4-GAUGE-RED-CAR-AMP-POWER-WIRE_W0QQite mZ350237845237QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518bcd66f5

Gold Member

Post Number: 4116
your getting 12' for $20 not 20', right? thast seems about right, good cable, good price.

110 wrms/ channel for the alpine comp set

Username: Creator1

Canada

Post Number: 8
Go to a Princess Auto, Pep Boys, Welding shop- Praxair, etc and buy a chunk of 1/0 or 2/0 cable! THE BIGGER THE BETTER! And u'll need ANL or Wafer fuses to handle 100 amp or higher- name brand fuses this big can run $25 bucks a piece! AS ur voltage drops, the amp draw will increase until u pop fuses. FOR each $25 dollar fuse- think how much the money spent initally on the biggest cable, with save u in the long run.So- spend the cash and get the LARGEST cable u can. Welding cable is the BEST elec cable for passing HUGE amounts of current and its WAY more affordable than esoteric brands that have pretty colored jackets. Also- its very flexible cuz of the hi number of strands so its easy to run inside the vehicle. DONT get a big gauge of home stuff etc cuz they have the least # of strands and are like tow cable u have to kink to bend! :-) NO cap. Need to ensure ur battery is fresh and has a good res time and hi crank is better. I use 250 amp manual circuit breakers for my Show truk. That way, I can open the breakers IF I have to charge the 3 batts before a show and the charge current doesnt flow thru my amps while its connected. Also- manual are better cuz u have control if it opens- it doesnt auto re-set and keep smacking the hell outta ur subs. I found them on E-bay from a company in China for $6.95 each! THEY are the SAME as the Phoenix Gold breakers for $120 bucks each! Same little Red lever and everything!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4139
Thanks big DAve... How are you determining what size wire and fusing is needed? So, If i get that chunk of 0/1 ga. power wire, what amp fuse do I need? Is that fuse there to protect my amps?What other electrical upgrades do i need if I don't need a cap? When would I need to put another inline fuse in this system? Thanks.. any help is appr'ed

Post Number: 9
Can you send the link for the breakers off ebay BIG DAVE .. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us