Ported Box Specs Suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: Cyam

Post Number: 30
Hey, Im gonna run two 12" Pioneer TS-W308D2's @ 1ohm with a AQ 1200 amp, any suggestions on box specs? I want to run a ported box so does anyone have a good port size (1 or 2 ports) that works well? I'm not quite understanding all the specs like what Fs, Qms, Qes, etc.. mean, so if someone could put it in general terms for me I would appreciate it cuz its my last step in finishing my system!

All the Specs are here...
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/TS-W308D2_InstructionM anual1120.pdf

Could always email me a sketch ^_^
Thanks, CJ

Silver Member
Username: Dangeranger

Fredericktown, Ohio United States

Post Number: 176
a box around 3^ft tuned to around mid thirties.

and i'm not aware of any advantages to different number of ports as long as you use a program online to tell you how deep/big etc... to make the port.

Bronze Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 45
Being the D2 I'm assuming they're dual 2 ohm subs. They are rated at 400 rms, so the best you can do is wire each sub to 4 ohms then bridge them to the amp at a 2 ohm load. That would run them a little higher than theyre able to handle but not too much so all should be ok. Just make sure to set the gain correctly so you're not sending too much voltage to your seakers. As far as an enclosure, it is saying to go 1.65 ft^3 per sub. So make the box 3.0 - 3.5 ft^3 and tune to 32 - 35 Hz.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15613
pioneer rec specs suck

for each sub try 2cuft

12-16sq inches of port \ cuft ....

http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Question/comment to Shawn...
The subs are the D2 series, but you must wire each individual sub to 1ohm or 4ohm because they are DVC and the voice coils are 2ohm each. (the D4 you wire for 2ohm or 8ohm...confusing I know, I meant to buy subs I could wire for 2ohm).
I was planning on wiring them together at 1ohm with a 1ohm load on my amp.
Sound like it will work?
Let me know =)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Okay cool, thanx. I kinda figured the number of ports didn't matter.

What do I measure to calculate the port size? Is it the opening (the hole we see from the outside) times the depth of the port (how far the port extends into the box)?

How exactly do you tune a box to a certain Hz?

Thanx Guys

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Thanx Roven, that website helped. Best website I've found so far. Now there is no need to answer my previous post...but the one before that to Shawn I'd like an answer to. ^_^
Thankx again

Bronze Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 55
Yes, being dual 2 ohm each sub will wire to either 4 ohm or 1 ohm. If you wire each sub to 4 ohm, running them to the amp together (bridged) they will then be at a 2 ohm load. If you were to to wire each at 1 ohm, then bridged to the amp would mean a 0.5 ohm load, which is too low for the amp. At 2 ohms the 1200D does 870 rms according to the site. Your subs can hold 350 rms each which is 700 rms. 2 ohms will be the only way you'll be able to run them, and also the closest you will get to their rated RMS. You may want to actually turn down the gain just a little from the recommeded voltage for 2 ohms. Look in your manual and see how much voltage it says your amp should be putting out for a 2 ohm load. For example, I have a 500/1 and for me, at a 3 ohm load, mine is set at 38.7 volts. Each amp is different. You can then adjust your + dB to meet your needs for added bass boost.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
The TS-W308D2's are rated at 400 each = 800wRMS according to Pioneer. So 870 wRMS from the AQ1200 will be almost perfect for my subs.

Is this the wiring technique I would use?

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=22

Just for my understanding, say that if I did want to run a different pair of subs at 1ohm with the AQ, what ohm rating would they have to be? 1ohm?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Is this it?

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_2-o hm_mono.jpg

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2129
i had the same subs but a few years older...

had them in 4cubes @ 35 Hz and it was damn loud for 500rms TOTAL... had my roof flexin a bit in my xterra...

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4086
wire the subs series/parallel (2nd option in your wiring diagram link)..

http://img77.imageshack.us/i/4cubes35hz5425sqin2er.png/

see if this design will fit your max dimentions.

4^3ft. @ 35hz ~55 ^2 in port area

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Hey Abarca, I cant wait to get these subs going, cuz if they do that at 500Rms...cant wait for 800Rms! Did you wire them to a 2ohm amp?

Im lookin at making a box tuned to 34-36 and about 3.8 ft^3.

Hey mark, 55 ^2? Thats about what im planning...think i sketched a port opening @ 27.5" x 2"...so thats perfect. (I'm making a LONG skinny port)
What about the Depth though (to make it the # cubed)?
I looked at your image link, looks about like what I was planning =)
Thankx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us