Help building a system

Username: Xpl0siv

Fort Myers, FL USA

Post Number: 1
I just got a new (used) car a few weeks ago, and i need a system. I had a 2002 explorer with 2 15" Kicker CompVR's, and i loved them to death, but i had to trade them in too cus they wanted it with the car = (.. i coulda cried giving them up.
But i now have a 2006 mazdaspeed 6, with the Bose system in it, but i need my bass back lol.
I was thinking of 1 12" jlw6 with a jl 500/1 but i am looking for any suggestions. Either 1 really good 12 or 2 12"s could work i guess.. i listen to rock and rap, but mostly rock, especially heavy rock with a lot of double bass pedal so what would be the best setup for that? Subs and amp recommendations.. Thanks in advance..!

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1781
what kinda box were the cvr's in? specs?

Fort Myers, FL USA

Post Number: 2
the cvr's were in a custom ported box i had built.. i dont know the specs on it tho sry..i had a sh1tty sony xplod 1200 from walmart pushing them and they still sounded so loud, but not clean with rock at all.. im looking for something much cleaner sounding now tho, yet still loud. i plan on making it a show car eventually so thats y i need the best of both and thats y i had jl in mind, not spl just normal car shows lol,, probably in a sealed box. i am not looking for a competition setup, but definately still loud but very precise and clean.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6792
the w6 is great for sq, but i think you'll be disappointed in the output of it, coming from 2 15" ported cvrs'.

what's your budget?

Bronze Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 46
Check out Hertz subs. There was a thread on here a while ago that was titled "random sub testing today" and they said they liked the hertz better than the w6 and it was louder too. Thats about all i know about Hertz though and i have no idea on their pricing

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6793
hertz = VERY nice but it will cost you.

want a very nice sq setup that wont cost as much (as far as subs)? do an ib setup with a pair of shiva-x's. now that would be very nice, and a pair of those subs would run you less than one of the w6s' and hertz.

Fort Myers, FL USA

Post Number: 3
i have never heard of hertz or shiva lol... but budget wise is hard to say.. it depends on whether or not i would be getting the stuff online for much cheaper or getting it from a dealer.. i know you lose the warranty online, but i have bought from onlinecarstereo before and had no problems.. and so much cheaper. also with those hertz and shiva's what amp would you recommend?

this is the hertz you're talking about right?
http://www.caraudiomag.com/reviews/caep_0712_hertz_mille_ml3000/sound_test.html

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SoCal

Post Number: 2969
Yes that's the one.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6794
for the shivas, go to www.diycable.com.

Fort Myers, FL USA

Post Number: 4
how are memphis subs? i have not heard too much about them yet but i have noticed they are becoming a bit more popular. Also, what about kicker l7's or cvx's .how is their SQ i can get 2 12" l7's online for a bout the same price as a w6 lol... what would be better?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
L7s suck for SQ.

Fort Myers, FL USA

Post Number: 5
ok i checked out those shiva x's and i am considering them.. What amp would you recommend to push 2 of them? it looks like they are only 600w max..

Fort Myers, FL USA

Post Number: 6
also i just noticed that the shiva's are Dual 8ohm..
i found this wiring sheet but it is for single 8ohm..
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=81
would there be a difference? any recommendations?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
If you run two dual 8ohm subs in parallel, that will present a 2 ohm load for the amp

Fort Myers, FL USA

Post Number: 7
so an amp that would do at least 600rms at 2ohm would be the best for that then i guess right? and those would sound better than 1 12" jlw6 in a h.o box?
reason im kinda leaning toward that jl setup is cus a local sound shop by me told me he can get me a 12" w6 in the h.o box from JL WITH the warranty for $550! which is a couple hundred cheaper than what is on JL's website. That is an amazing deal but i still want the best for my money's worth, thats why im trying to get all of you opinions on the best setup.
im still curious on which amp i should get as well.. noone has answered that yet.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3673
The hertz sub you linked above is their top of the line, it is much cleaner than a W6 and much louder with the same power.

You should look into the 2008+ (new model) HX300, not mille. Its half the price and still a great sub for sq/sql. I would run around 500-700rms per speaker.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us