Tips please.

Silver Member
Username: Silvermopar

Nebraska

Post Number: 139
It seems that I am not as impressed by my stereo as I once was. Nothing seems out of order, but perhaps I have gotten too use to what I have. I think I'm headed down and endless cycle of desireing improvements.
So here is what I have, thanks to all the great help from you guys.

HU - Sony
Amps - Kicker ZX750.1 and Kicker ZX350.4
Speakers - 1 pair KS6930, 1 pair KS680
Subs - 1 pair Kicker CompVR 12"
Sub Box - I built, roughly 38" by 14" by 13" with a 2.5" by 13.5" port on the side the Subs face.

I guess what I am wondering is... What settings and so forth might I want to look into to make it even better?

What I would really like is to play music by ACDC, BadCompany, Tom Petty, and others of that era. Mabye even a little Pop/Rap. I want Crisp, Clear, bass that nearly knocks the wind of of ya. I seem to be able to humble others with Bass that cars beside me feel, but now I really want the best sound quality from my stereo. I have made some adjustments to things but just have not quite found what I want yet.
Perhaps even a few new songs to listen to along the line of what I mensioned earlier would be good also.

Thanks,
SilverMopar

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20254
"I think I'm headed down and endless cycle of desireing improvements. "

IMO I would start with the HU.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3314
x2... Putting a nicer HU in would probably add some SQ to your system

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 140
Not to negate what your saying but for a sony HU, it is pretty decent. Yet now I am contemplating a new one. What would you recommend? Brand and Model please.
Also on that ZX750.1.... What would you set the x-over frequency to (50-200) and would you have the Sub-Sonic switch on or off? I do not fully understand what cross over frequency is, I am guessing it has something to do with the frequency the signals get to the sub at. (Pulses of current flow in Hz) But a greater understanding of this would be nice

Thanks again, I really appriciate the advice and help, I never have much luck googling for what I want to know.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6354
for that setup being all kicker.. that sony is fine for the quality.. not going to get much sq from the kicker speakers anyway

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20257
Well seeing as he is "headed down and endless cycle of desireing improvements." one would only rationalize that the brain behind the system be his starting point. Especially since he will only look to improve his overall choice in gear anyway.

How many times have we recommended during a wire upgrade to always think ahead and go with 0 ga? Just a thought.

Your settings are going to be directly related to the final subs and amps you go with. Without knowing that......

There's a great Good, Bad and ugly list for all the stuff you're looking for. Someone will post it up shortly, if I can't locate it first for ya lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20258
Pretty quick on my draw.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/329117.html

Needs mega updating but it's a start.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 141
I do not mean to look like a smart ace but... May I ask you Jack, why is kicker so bad? Going by the list that Paul has given, here is where kicker ranked in there...
Over all... Good
Amps....... Good
Speakers... Good
Subs....... Highly Recommended (CompVR, which is what I have)
Wiring..... Good

I know that being a Kicker owner I am biased and I will admit, its not all top of the line but... I would like to know what I am missing out on.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20261
Kicker is indeed good in those areas however in today's lineup of possibilities in regards to SQ there are alot of better options. FI, SI, SS all have better SQ bang for your $. (Debatable by many)

Those who have only driven a mustang will swear by them, until they drive a Ferrari.

Again that list is missing alot of recent additions to manufacturers and their products so the curve will need adjusting.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6362
Kicker is mediocre on my list.. they make decent products for the money. Nothing I would rate them with on the SQ side..

Everyone has a different ear for SQ.. best thing for you to do is listen to a wide variety and pick something you like..

or throw us a budget..

I guess I'm a bad opinion for you because when I think SQ ... I think SQ :-) ..

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 142
Everyone has openions, and yours is likely correct to some extent. The Budget is tight but flexable if someone could really persuade me to buy something different. I was originally hopeing that someone here might suggest something of a different box design that may give a different sound, perhaps a better sound. (Not that what I have is that bad) I know that the Box is critical in the sound department. I would also like to know a little more about x-over frequency, boxs, box tuneing, and anything else that might be useful to me at this time for correctly setting my system up. I have had it for over 6 months, but that does not mean I have configured everying 100% correctly yet, there is always something to learn or try differently.

Thanks
-SilverMopar

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Only Fcking H0M0S , Say WaterPolo! US

Post Number: 4916
SQ is in the ear of the beholder! I can hear reflective backwaves coming through my cone that is why I line the inside of my box with dampening material. There is a difference I am 37 and have been into car audio since I was like 12 when I installed my first pyramid EQ lol. SQ will be what YOU like not what someone else thinks sounds good. Also you have to remember no matter how much you prepair your cabin you will Never get it absolutely perfect, it is impossible, you control perfection. Trying to obtain perfection can be quite expensive but you can settle with a happy medium. Start with good amps, then work from there. Don't be afraid to tweek, I myself am a tweeker lol. I like my lower frequency with an SQL feel and my highs clear, imaging means nothing to me but loudness is a needed factor. Decide what you need and what your Idea of SQ is and work on that. You can pull SQ out of the sh!ttiest of subs just need to work at it but ask yourself, how much do you really want to work ? :-O

Polo..

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20274
"There is a difference I am 37 and have been into car audio since I was like 12 when I installed my first pyramid EQ lol. "

Well sh1t. So am I and I also dealt with that stuff lol.

How is approaching 40 feeling Polo?

I'm scared sh1tless myself lol.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2994
I'm only a couple of years behind yall. lol.

Look Silver Mopar- Your list of equipment is a good one. Nowhere near great, but way better than a lot of systems. I have news for ya, if you truely get bit by the Car Audio bug, the you better be ready to spend some money. It is an addiction that can consume all of your time, energy, and money if you let it. Your system is a good system to cut your teeth on, but when it comes to the breath taking bass, alomg wth a crystal clear frontstage that keeps up with the bass you are reffering to, then you havn't even scratched the surface.

You are not likely to get the breath taking bass from the cvr's. I know for a fact that a pair of cvr's could never be enough for my taste. . As for kicker, well I've owned comps, cvrs,L5's, L7, and the Solo x's. None of which satisfied me. The 3 way 6x9's made by kicker have never sounded up to par, but then again I haven't heard a kicker component set that I liked. Kicker wiring and amps are very good imo. If you feel that the CVR's on less than 1000 wrms in any box could possibly give you the bass you were describing, more power to ya. You will be getting off easy. Once you start looking into the louder and more powerful setups the that is where it starts getting exspensive. Just in the electrical upgrades alone can cost a pretty penny. I'm gonna assume the you could be satisfied with a good step up from what you are currently running and be satisfied. Try doubling you power and putting a couple of subs that thrive on that power in a coustom ported box. Keep the kicker amp, and run a good mid-line comp set. and upgrade the HU to an Eclipse, Alpine, Kenwood Exceleon, Jvc arsenal, or Pioneer Premier. I would get an EQ to fine tune it to your likings. I run a Kicker KQ9 EQ and it sets the mids/highs off in my ride.

What vehicle are we talking about?

Where are the factory speaker mounting locations on you car?

how much money are you willing to put into stepping your game up?

This should get ya started.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6371
If you just want cleaner bass.. run a sealed enclosure

that will help.. but they will naturally peak

best option is to find a driver with a flat bl curve

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 14868
i think mark got it covered

seems to me ur ready for a more powerful set ...

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 143
This is all in a 1990 Dodge Ramcharger. It is like Tahoe... only built by Dodge back in the day. The 6x9s are in the front doors. The 5x7s are located beside the rear bench, its a 2dr. Subs, obviously located behind the back bench. I am really considering trying to sell things part by part as I upgrade them. Your thinking keep the Kicker Amps, so what subs would you reccomend? Really im not that unsatisfied with the speakers at this point. Mabye If I start with some new subs and work from there. Could we keep a pair under $250 and still have what I'm wanting? Or do I need to really shell out some cash for something? Give me some possibilities.

Thanks again.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6374
$250 is not enough. With that power I could suggest Two IDQs, an IDMAX, or SI Mag

Gold Member

Post Number: 3008
i was thinkin' along the lines of adding another 750 or selling it and get something ~1200-1500 wrms AQ1200 is 1st thought (249 shipped). I was referring to keeping the mids/ highs amp and finding a comp set to match... I know of a comp set that would work great for you. I am running a set in my 6x9 factory door mount. But my doors are dynamated. I have them running off of 90 wrms and they are clear and sound as good, if not better than the DDC6.5's that I have in my kickpods.
http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=126&idproduct= 505

Bridge the Kicker zx350.4 and be real easy with the gain and run the comp set off of it. Then run the 5x7's off the hu. Rearfill in not that important.

as for subs, a couple of sdc2.5's 15's (SDC2.515-D4 $159 each) http://www.audioque.com/aq/SDC2_5_Series.htm
in a ported box on the AQ1200 would be a lot louder than the CVR's (enclosure and install considering)
I have the same AQ sdc2.5 that i would part with, but they are 12's.
150- comp set
320- subs
250 amp
~720 for the 3 items
still need sub box, dynamat door kit, and HU. Of course their are many other options.
look into RE SE's as a good upgrade as well(subs)

you can get a good amount locally for your lil system, don't try to sell em online. Ebay sells sh!t too cheap. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXj6WniW4Fk&feature=channel_page

i'm throwing a link to one of my vids to show that my mid/highs have no problem gettin over 150+ db of bass.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6376
"Bridge the Kicker zx350.4 and be real easy with the gain and run the comp set off of it. Then run the 5x7's off the hu. Rearfill in not that important."

Or not, just run active.

$150 for a comp set is very slim btw.. I'd spend more on the comp set that subs.. in SQ you don't want much bass.. do you honestly think in these recordings they are bass heavy? or a live show at that? not unless its rap :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3010
150 is inexspensive, I know that they are not top of the line, but they would be a good budget setup for him.. I was trying to use a 6x9 comp set that he would consider buying and that I could vouche for.... He barely wants to spend 250 on 2 subs, so i didn't see him buying a mid-upper grade comp set. . $250-500 They can get in the 2000-5000+ dollar range just for a 3 way comp set. but that is wayyyy overboard, unless you have the money to burn... With the amount of bass that I like, I can't see a true SQ setup doing me any justice.. "
Polo worded it nicely, and decribed my listening preferences fairly closely.
"I like my lower frequency with an SQL feel and my highs clear, imaging means nothing to me but loudness is a needed factor. Decide what you need and what your Idea of SQ is and work on that. You can pull SQ out of the sh!ttiest of subs just need to work at it but ask yourself, how much do you really want to work ? "

A true sound quality system is MUCH MUCH more expensive than a SQL and even most SPL setups..
I promise that the Cadence comps would do the job and keep up with just about any 1200 wrms or less substage. But , Kevin is right, there are better comp sets out there, but they will cost ya.

You could get a set that can handle the full 175X2 wrms and roll with it.. Diamond Hex's.
CDT
The new Digital Designs. DDA-W, ect. but they will cost more.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us