How would you have them?????

Bronze Member
Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surrey England

Post Number: 39
as i wont be ready to upgrade my system for 6 months or so im stuck with 2 infinity 1230 reference series subs in a sealed box and a sony(sucks) xmd1000p5 to power them, im thinking of putting them into a ported box to gain more SPL for the time being but the boot (trunk) of my car seems to be very soundproof so i dont know if it would make much difference, any comments from registerd members would be usefull

Bronze Member
Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surrey England

Post Number: 40
oh and i forgot to mention.....
i have holes in the rear shelf of my car where i used to have 6x9's, ive left these open so the bass can get into the car and the 2 subs are facing upwards with the holes above them, i dont mind spending a little bit of cash on a ported box for them if i would get a bit more bass into the car from the boot from that set up, but if the difference is going to be minimal then id rather save my money for now

Anonymous

ok this time i would aim the speakers tords the back of the trunk so when you open your trunk you see the subs facing you this well give you some low hrz SQ and then i would direct the ports to the 6x9 holes this well give you some realy good SPL now what i would also do is pute some 3.5 inch tweeters and caps next to the ports in the 6x9 holes that should give you some all around better sound but make sure that the air from the port isnt pushing the tweeter

Bronze Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 58
PLEASE don't put tweeters in the sub box. They sound HORRIBLE. Leave the tweeters to the front soundstage. Remember that the drawback of a ported box is that the subs won't drop as low, they take up more space, and they need a subsonic filter because ported boxes don't control the cone well at frequencies below the tuning of the box. If you're willing to deal with these issues, then ported will give more spl. Turning the subs around works in MOST vehicles, but you may have different results, you can also try turning them towards the cabin. The ports firing through the 6x9 holes will give more SPL. Just don't do the tweeters, they sound like a$$. The only tweeter in sub box you'll see is pawn shops and Wal-Mart.

Anonymous

PLEASE READ EVERY THING CARFULLY I DIDNT SAY TO PUT TWEETERS IN THE SUB BOX I KNOW THATS CRAP WHEN THE PORT FOR THE BOX IS FACEING 4 INCES OF THE 6X9 HOLE PLACE A 3.5" TWEETER IN THE OTHER 5 INCHES OF THE 6X9 HOLE AWAY FROM THE PORT THIS WELL JUTS GIVE YOU A LITTLE REAR SOUND

and thanks john for covering up the takes up more room that is true and well if you make it just right you can hit lower tones with a ported box maybe not 12hrz to make sombody take a sh!t but you could hit around 18-22hrz witch it preaty low

o and so were clear about this the 3.5" tweeters that am thinking about are not just tweeters thay have a little mid to them you dont have to put them in but i was just thinking about using 4" now because they have even more mid to them for a little better sound

and try to build the box so the port is about 2-4 inches away from the 6x9 hole
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us