Amp Killin car?

Bronze Member
Username: Vash3000

Post Number: 53
Anyone ever experienced this problem? When I try to start the car, all I hear is click click. The car doesnt crank or nothing. But when it does crank it starts up fine but it just have problem cranking. Anyone have this problem before? Can this be from my battery becus I do have 2 amps hooked up but I also just upgraded to a ho alt? Anyone know the problem?

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

IA, DP RD

Post Number: 1769
make sure u upgraded ur wires to battery and alt. if not there no point in having ho alt. like having a 3k watt amp and running 4g wires.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1383
sounds like a starter going out to me. If it does start fine once it DOES engage I wouldn't think it's an issue with the battery or the amp draining the battery.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6442
Use a DMM and monitor the voltage. It could be that the battery isn't holding enough charge, alternator is faulty, or a bad starter.

Silver Member
Username: Hondarider

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 242
I have had a somewhat similiar problem. All i can tell you is make sure all wiring to battery and alternator is very tight and secure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
I have upgraded my wires to 0/1 AWG and everything is tight n secured. I should mention this as well. The car seems to start fine when I just drive the car without my 2nd amp on that pushes the subs. The other is a small little amp and is on all the time but I dont think that is much of a problem. The car seems to start fine when I don't turn on my sub amp. If I dont turn on that amp for a while then my car seems to start fine without that problem until I continue to turn it on. So I'm guessing its not really coming from the starter is it? But also I have a voltmeter on my car and with the car off, the battery voltmeter is still above 12 volts. SO is it the starter or battery, anyone certain?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 3209
Car audio system will not cause that problem.

It's either the starter or the ignition switch.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2787
Its the starter solonoid. One of these days it will not start. It will just go click click click. Then you will need to climb under there and hit the starter with a hammer to get it to start. Yea, Ive done it, in the middle of winter. Not fun. Plus you need someone to keep turning the key till it engages. Starters are fairly inexpensive and easy to swap. I would just do it before it strands you someplace. And if you just upgraded the alt, then it may have put to much of a load on the starter soloniod if it was weak to begin with.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 9668
Todays batteries aren't what they used to be either. My truck went dead on a trip to the depot one day. Cranked and started just fine up until it died. It didn't go gradually, just all at once. My mechanic said that's how they go today. It wouldn't even take a jump. Just....dead. The clicking you described but no turning over. I was shocked. New batt and good as new.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12075
sometimes a slack batt terminal causes a bad connection (duh) & thus u sometimes hear a click b4 starting .....

Username: Vivi2000

Post Number: 6
My starter recently went out, and when I tried to start it all i got was a rapid clicking noise with no turning over. It is probably your starter, but if your car only does this when your amps are on or whatever it may be that your battery doesent have enough juice to start the car up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Oh yea I should also mention that sometimes when i turn the key n its click click, i hear sumthing on the engine like a noise of some sort. You hear this noise when you first unplug the battery and plug it in and try to start the car for the first time. Sometimes I hear it and sometimes I dont

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4481
What you can do is check how bright your headlights are when you're experiencing that problem.If they look like they are getting power and aren't extremely dim then you know it's not the power system.It sounds like a starter problem that's for sure.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us