Box type

Bronze Member
Username: Chevydriver

Mason, OH US

Post Number: 21
For better bass, which box is better for two 12" MTX subs, a bandpass box or a vented box?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2332
Vented a.k.a. ported box is the best type for good sound and loudness. Sealed is ideal for limited space applications as they are smaller than ported boxes.

Bandpass is good for basically nothing. They sound like sh!t.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2333
Edit:

It IS possible to build a bandpass box that sounds good, but nobody does it because they are no better than ported boxes, they just use more space. Also, all of the pre-made bandpass boxes out there are the type that sound like sh!t.

Bronze Member
Username: Bjfish11

Garden Plain, KS USA

Post Number: 55
^^Not necessarily true. I have my Fi Q in a 4th order bandpass box I built. Its lounder AND cleaner than when I had it in a 2.5 cube ported box. Size wise, it was only a 1/2" wider, with the same height and depth. If you can find someone to design you a good bandpass box, they can be very nice boxes. I do not know anything about designing them, but I know they work a lot better for some subs than others.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2412
You are a professional builder

It would be very hard for just anyone to design and build a good bandpass box.

Bronze Member
Username: Bjfish11

Garden Plain, KS USA

Post Number: 60
From a build aspect, they are fairly simple. I used precision ports for mine, so it was basically a dual chambered sealed box with precision ports installed. You are correct on the design portion. From what I unerstand they are very difficult to design.

Bronze Member
Username: Mesodumm

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 52
I agree I used a sealed bandpass box for my pair of 1500GTI's it sounded great!! I had a Nissan pickup lonbed that I ported from the bed, most all sub manufactures have all the data on there website. along with charts that show sub performance, the 1500GTI's in the bandpass box was 99db at 20 hrz Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us