Boxs that are rounded on the inside

trickfly04
Unregistered guest
i hear that a prefect sqaur box is not really good. I herd something awhile back about if you have a squar box you can round the bottom out and it will sound better aslong as the box valum is to specs. my question is what was that product that was used. and is there any other was of doing this or is it worth it?

Anonymous

Square enclosures are not considered ideal, if you look at the SEMA shows and IASCA tournaments you'll see rounded and many custom fiberglass enclosures. If you just round the bottom out, the box volume won't stay in specification unless you lengthen it to compensate. One of the best sounding boxes is an Aperiodical Enclosure, I finally heard one and it is definately the best SQ enclosure I've heard, you HAVE to separate the front from the back though, and it only works with certain subs. Here is the link courtesy of Glasswolf: http://www.elitecaraudio.com/article.php?sid=18 it's awesome, trust me. Image Dynamics sells computer engineered AP enclosures, all you have to do is mount them. There are many box volume calculators online, and it will tell you how to properly build a round box if that's what you want, just enter what volume you want and it'll give the dimensions.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2902
actually its not "square" that's the problem
the problem is when the side of the box with the driver, and the opposing side (the back) are parallel. then you get standing wave cancellation.
this can be corrected with polyfill, or by angling the back side of the box.
fiberglass works if you want to make custom non-linear sort of boxes with funky curves to fit a specific location.

Bronze Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 100
Go with using fiberglass or some kind of compound to stick in the corners of the box to make it round.

trickfly04
Unregistered guest
how about bondo, would that work. my dad ownes his own body shop so i have unlimited suplies to thing of that nature. but he doesn't do much with fiberglass aside from fixing a cracked panel.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2926
no
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us