SSD vs. HD3?

Bronze Member
Username: Brady_f

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 37
How would a pair of SSD 12's compare to a single HD3 15? Both setups would be in a ported box with about 1400 rms total power.

Gold Member
Username: Drsmith

Montana USA

Post Number: 2042
ummm cone area FTW, but the HD3's are beasts, i love my 15", get the HD

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7701
SSD FTMFPOSW.

haha just playing doktah. get the hd3. better power handling and you can save yourself some space in your car.

Silver Member
Username: Bump05

We Stay Fly, 18 SX USA

Post Number: 415
2 12's would sound better imo

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 1306
More pride in a single setup =). Although I have two hd3's because I got a suv =).

Silver Member
Username: Bump05

We Stay Fly, 18 SX USA

Post Number: 423
ugh berny no pride... :-(

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

FTW

Post Number: 9395
just my observation. but the SSD's would be more musical.:-)

Bronze Member

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 39
U think i can run enough power to the HD3 without upgrading my alternator...at least for a month or so? I shouldn't have to worry with a 1K rms amp...should i? Btw what Voice coil configuration do i go with, with the HD3>?

Silver Member
Username: Devastation101

Audioque SD2.5-ville, HENDERSON, NC US of A

Post Number: 451
I don't think you should worry with that 1000 watts. 1000 watts will probably nothing but an appetizer to that sub!

Bronze Member

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 40
so 1K would not be enough to run to that sub?

Silver Member
Username: Pike110

12w6v2s, Indianapolis...

Post Number: 299
nah, they can handle double that.

Silver Member
Username: Tremor1127

Post Number: 549
id rather have the ssds, the hd3 is more of a burper :-)

Bronze Member

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 41
so i guess i am in the market for a 15 that will perform well on 1K rms. Budget is $400

Bronze Member
Username: Shawn_fleming

Gainesville, Florida

Post Number: 53
how about a q 15 with 1000 watts, be perfect.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 2066
either or.. Havoc 18" https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/for-sale/299391.html

Btw.. do you already have the amp?

Bronze Member

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 42
I want a more spl oriented system, and from what i have read the Q is more of a SQL sub?? I realize that I wouldnt be getting full potential out of the HD3, but running 1K for a few weeks wouldnt hurt nothing right?

Bronze Member

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 43
No kevin i dont have the amp...upgrading that as well, but im not looking to upgrade my alternator just yet. So i need the biggest amp w/o upgrading electrical. Wouldnt everything be easier if someone would just send me a new alt..? I really would like to run the HD3 though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2067
Get that Havoc 18" :-) .. it would get insanely loud and you could run it on factory alt :-)

and if your interested in an amp for $300+ shipping check mine out .. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/298591.html

Bronze Member

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 44
would love to have the havoc btw...but dont think that im gonna be fitting that into my tiny mustang truck...lol

Bronze Member

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 45
would love to have the havoc btw...but dont think that im gonna be fitting that into my tiny mustang trunk...lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2069
what year mustang? my friend has a 2002 and the only way he can fit a 15" is if it upfires.. so you could fit it like :-) ...

Silver Member

12w6v2s, Indianapolis...

Post Number: 301
You can run the hd3 with a 1000. Are you asking if it will hurt the sub or if your alt. will take it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2070
oh btw.. I ran that Recoil with no problems on a 90A alt.. putting up 145s on a TL with a single SX 15"

...really need to sell it so I can get another sub :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2071
btw.. Kenny has an SX 15" ... https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/for-sale/297553.html

that sub and my amp would slam!

4^3 box tuned to 35hz.. mmmm

Bronze Member

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 46
both i guess Pike. And its a 2006. And i was hoping to fit the 15 firing back with port back also...? Maybe it wont fit...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2072
If the trunk opening is at least 16" you can squeeze it in :-) .. you seriously should look into that SX though.. you want spl on 1000rms.. that sub can take plenty more if you want and it can put up good numbers.. I'm running mine with 1800rms daily and it does 146.3 on the TL with a stock charging system

Gold Member

Post Number: 2073
if you click the link for my amp check out the vids on the SX.. it might have you sold

Bronze Member

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 47
your running that 35.1 off a stock charging system???!! Then why shouldnt i be able to get a 1500rms amp and run the HD3 off my stock charging system..just a though? and 16" lol!!!!! "you can make anything fit" LOL!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2074
I have two yellowtops to help.. lol. But I ran that Recoil which puts out more so around 1200rms with that 90A alt and 1 yellowtop with no problems

Bronze Member

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 48
so your running 1 yellowtop under the hood and then also 1 in the trunk? Wouldnt adding that second battery put more stress on that alt though? Im asking b/c i really have to find out a way to run a decent sized amp w/o upgrading my alternator right now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2075
Yes.. it puts more stress on the alt.. but I don't care.. when the alt goes it will force me to buy a bigger one :-) ...

But I really would not suggest running much more than 1300rms on a stock charging system

Bronze Member

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 49
LOL...where did you get your yellowtops from. I figure i best invest in one of those under the hood for now. Although i might just wait and hook everything up before i go spending money on something that may not help me at all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2077
autozone... :-)

Gold Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 2045
im running my HD3 on 1200 and its insane, 1000 would be fine and when you could throw more to it it will love your for it

Bronze Member

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 50
dotkah how big is your box, and what should i tune my to? Im working with limited space, but should be able to build one big enough for that sub.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2078
interested in my amp by chance :-) ..

Silver Member

12w6v2s, Indianapolis...

Post Number: 303
Your alt will handle the 1000, but it will put stress on the alt because it isn't made to support other parts. I ran a 1200 watt amp off my stock alt when I first got into car audio. It lasted about 6 months and then it gave up. So, if you want just run the amp off the stock alt and upgrade it when you have the money or when it dies. That said when it does die it sucks! Mine went out at a stop light in a busy intersection and the car died in the middle of the road. I had to call a tow truck and I blocked traffic for about an hour. So, put getting a ho alt on the top of your priority list. just my opinion.

Gold Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 2053
my box is 4.7 cubes tuned to 37 hz, im running the 1200 on my stock 105 amp alt and it handels it fine

Bronze Member

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 51
my box is going to be a little smaller than than that, so should i consider tuning it a little lower? Also, I should be able to run a soundstream PCA1000D with my stock alt right? Besides that amp, does anyone have a suggestion for one? Around $300.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2088
Mine.. ;) $300 plus shipping for a great amp that is very well built
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us