Path of least resistance

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Phoenix, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 469
OK - I hooked up a 2nd amp in my car... I put a distribution block on the power wire (4 gauge wire), then when it splits... a 4 gauge wire to the big amp and an 8 gauge wire to the little amp. Here's the problem... my little amp won't turn on!!! It works. I know it!!! Just not now! Why?!?!?!? Is it because the electricity is taking the path of least resistance and therefore not even traveling through the 8 gauge wire at all? That seems like it could be impossible... but at the same time... it could be, huh?

Someone please help clarify and troubleshoot.
Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 760
Hows the remote wire,do you have it hooked up to your second amp too.

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1185
is the fuse blown in your distribution block? Is it grounded correctly?

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Phoenix, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 470
Islandboy:
I melted back the plastic on the remote wire about 2 ft from the 1st amp. Then, I used another wire, and made the connection where the wire was exposed. Lastly, I electrical taped the whole thing again nice and secure.
So, the remote wire to 1st amp is as always...
and the 2nd amp has a wire tapping into the one mentioned.
Good enough, right?

Wahl:
my ditribution block has a fuse?!?!?!! I don't think this one does, bro. As for grounding...
here's what I did:
the power coming to the 1st amp goes...
battery, 100amp fuse, distribution block, capacitor, then amp.
4 gauge wire for power the whole way. The capacitor is grounded with 8 gauge wire at point "A". The amplifier is grounded with 4 gauge wire at point "B". (it works fine)

the power to the 2nd amp goes...
battery, 100amp fuse, distribution box, then amp.
4 gauge wire up to the distribution box (same wire as mentioned above) and 8 gauge wire after the distribution box leading to the amp. 8 gauge ground wire leading to point "A" (same ground location as for the capacitor) I cut back some plastic on the capacitor's ground wire and tapped into it - then electical taped the whole thing real nice.

See any red flags so far?
Please keep trying to help, guys. I really appreciate it!

As for the path of least resistance theory... possible or impossible?

Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us