Will this setup need a new ALT.

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 1059
will a 2000 jeep cherokee with TWO RE 12.1 amps without a doubt need a new charging system

or could i just get a powerful cap??

Silver Member
Username: Jron

Post Number: 210
new h.o. alternator man. thats like 2400 watts

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 1988
caps dont help at all....especially with that many watts, u will definatly need a ho alt

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 1060
alright well then im just gettin one 12.1 and goin with two SE's

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 1989
still might need an alt

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 994
you prob will need a new alt the rule of thumb is 1000 watts and then you need a new alt you will def need one also if you are gonna get comp speakers and put a amp on them

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 723
never heard that rule of thumb.
What I do know is there are a LOT of people running 1-1.5kw systems off stock alt/batt. It depends a lot on how you use it, but jeeps come with good sized alternators and I see no reason to automatically say you'll need an upgrade.

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Phoenix, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 471
who knows the maximum that a 2000 ford mustang convertible can take before it needs a new alternater? or how can I tell?
(sorry, optidriven, i'm not trying to cut in on your thread... it just seemed like the right place to ask?)

Silver Member
Username: Jron

Post Number: 212
if your lights start blinking with the bass lines, it's taking a toll on your electrial system. some cars will handle a decent amount of wattage before that upgrade is needed. I had a 2000 Honda Accord with about 600 watts total running through it, and my lights didn't blink until I turned it up louder than my own personal threshold. My new car has a 120 amp alternator, and I still wouldnt dare run a thousand watts to it without having a new alternator in the plans. Keep in mind just because your alternator produces 100 amps doesnt mean you get all of the 100 amps, 60 amps is being more realistic. a lot of that power can be gone with sun roofs, power windows etc,.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us