Ohm question

Username: Fiber

Post Number: 1
i bought 2 typr R 15's and have them in a sealed box they have dual 2 ohm voice coils rated at 250rms per coil i do believe. I have a amp that is 1500rms but at 4 ohms is this going to affect how loud the subs will be.... and on my amp it's 2 channel bridged but one of the channels dont work how can i hook both the speakers to just one channel without losing power.

Gold Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 1045
Ohms do not affect sound at all. it just controles the poper that is released from the amp

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Post Number: 112
is you amp 2 ohm stable? if so i would guess it puts out 1500rms at 2 ohms(typical but not always the case). take a wire from + on amp to + on one voice coil one sub and then from there to + on one voice coil from other. take a wire from - on amp to - on the other voice coil on one sub and then from there to - on the other voice coil of other sub. now take wire from + on one voice coil on each sub and connect it to the - on the other voice coil (same sub). and the end result will be a 2 ohm load.

Post Number: 3
Thankyou for the detail but can you explain it to me for a 4 ohm load my amp is 4 ohms but i dont need 1500watts so could i wire it at 2 ohm and just use like 1000 watts ?

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 666
if you wire it to 2ohms you will get more power than 4ohms. What voice coil configuration do you have on the type Rs and what exact model amp do you have.

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 667
whoops i just saw that they are dual 2ohm which means you can wire them to 2ohm.

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
you can't wire 2 dual 2 ohm subs to a 4 ohm load only 2 or 8. just because the amp is capable of putting out 1500 at 2 ohms doesn't mean it does all the time, only when the volume is way up on the hu and the sensitivity is adjusted correctly. just turn down the sensitivity on the amp and dont turn the boost above about 1/2 and you will be fine.

Post Number: 5
i have a gain and a bass knob on my amp... so what your saying is i can wire the subs at 2 ohms to my amp and just not turn the gain up much?....but SW9152 do you think you could like use paint or photoshop to make me a out a picture or like a diagram to wire them at 2 ohms through 1 channel because when i read it , it's harder to do.. but if i had a picture it would be a piece of cake, im just being cautious because I have already burnt up a set of r's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
sorry it is small i had to shrink it alot to get it under 100 kilobytes

image/bmpUpload
sub dia.bmp (96.3 k)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us