?? largest amp possible for stock alternator ??

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 108
what is the largest amp possible for a stock alternator and electrical system?

Bronze Member
Username: Andrew571

Post Number: 40
how many amps does ur stock alternator put out?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1937
depends on the vehicle. some cars have alts that have a little headroom over what the car actually needs. but some imports have alts just big enough to get by.

ex: the vehicle itselft needs 50A to operate well, but it has a 100A alt. you would have 40-50A of head room (400-500watts)

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 931
yeah, usually adding 500 watts to the stock alt will be ok. but as said above, it all depends on the car.

Silver Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 451
im about to run about 1500 on my stock 110 alt and see what happens. im going to upgrade the big3 and battery tho

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 705
My stock alternator can't even handle 488wrms!! It's only 70 amps. It's fine when I don't have the defrost and heat on, and driving lights. It's either freeze and have the sub loud, or warm and have the sub low. I have no money either to upgrade, at least not yet.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 461
my 110A has no problem w/about 1200w. Fairly electrically demanding car, too.

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 173
My truck has a 105amp alt and I'm running two vega exl 1000s.. I've also got an Optima Yellow Top plus the stock battery... each amp is getting 14.4v but as soon as I turn it up to full potential the current draw is going to be 180 for the amps so I need an alt.. Hit 145.6dB with a factory alt though..

Bronze Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 41
alot depends on the car and the alty itself. You can put a "bandaid" on the ordeal with a cap, battery upgrades or extra one, and the Big 3 but its only temp. A HO alty or really just a stepped up, well built alty will do. I have a local place who did my friends alty and upgraded it from a 105amp Delco alty to 120amps and the thing makes the lights brighter when you step on the gas. Alot will have to do with the quality of the build of the amp. i think a Honda 55-70amp alty handles like 400rms before you start to really see a problem, my 80amp Mitsu alty takes 1440rms with some dimming, my 105 GM Delco took 1440rms no problem with little sign of dimming.

Silver Member
Username: Reloaded

Mebane, NC U.S.A

Post Number: 117
how much power could I expect to see from a jl 500/1 exactly and is it worth that much money? Ill have to get a new alt for it but is it worth it?

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 870
I have a 500rms class A/B kicker amp powering my subs, a 250rms class A/B amp powering my speakers, a 1.2 farad cap, a Duralast gold battery, and an 85 amp alternator. When everything is cranked at night, most times the volts stay above 13.5 but sometimes It drops to 13 with everything full blast and everything running in the car. The thing is my lights dim pretty bad even at 14 volts. What is wrong there? I might upgrade to a 600rms class D amp down the road (draws same power but puts out more). Any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 781
I have no clue what size my alt is, but I'm running 1700W in it. I can get my HU up to about 35/40 before it starts dimming. I was pleasantly surprised.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 783
Then again, just because the lights aren't dimming doesn't mean the voltage isn't dropping way more than is safe.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2187
i have 2 jl 1000/1 and 1 jl 450/1 hooked up to my stock alt right now. i am waiting to hear from nate about the ho alt. in the meantime my lights dim at around 15/30 volume. but it is so loud in my car at that volume. at 18/30 it is really loud and the voltage meter i have reads 12.4v at that time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us