My new setup focusing on sq and not spl this time

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3872
I bought a few pieces from my buddy cheap so heres what I came up with so far ....first I have 5.25 phoenix gold xs components with matching passive crossovers and I plan on putting them in custom pods on the doors I think then mount the tweeters above them then I decided I will use one tangband 6.5 (good down to 35 hz)for the Low end considering they only need .20 cf sealed I was going to place it right behind my headunit mounted on the floor and fire it to the passenger side but create a baffle to funnel the bass output forward instead of to the passenger side and use it for a corner loading effect Ive also pondered using a pair of my pyramid (yes I said pyramid) 6.5 midbass speakers for the mid bass area else where in my car ...my y goal was to do a sq setup that was all front stage and do it on a budget using less than the usuall products without sacrificing the sound quality desired...I want to do this to prove it can be done cheap simple and space conscious.....Let me know what you guys think as far as where i could place the midbasses

Silver Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 232
IMO for SQ, speaker position is everything. If it were me I'd stick with one set of components and spend lots of time sitting and listening with your speakers in the positions you have in mind for them. In my car I opted for stock locations as I didn't want anything spottable from outside but I spent time adjusting the angles the speakers were facing from these positions to give me the best sound. If you are free to place your speakers anywere, experiment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3881
Thanks Redskin. I just realized under my exsisting plan that I could place the components like you said in the stock door locations and place the midbasses in the door also and keep the tangband behind the radio in the fashion I stated above.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3884
Ps....I rfound that I can remove mty inside door handle to close the door by simply unscrewing it and that gave me ideas because the screw holes could be used as mounting brackets for a homemade enclosure built onto the door...I like the thought of that

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1807
hey sean. just got your post. i agree with red. just, when you're auditioning any original locations (not yet fabricated), be sure to use a shirt to hold on the back of your driver.
it'll act as an enclosure of sorts (it helps to have help). in my experience, door mounted drivers tend to provide a more side-biased stage/image than say the kicks or dash.
as suggested, aiming the drivers and mounting them in that optimal position helps.
i'm loving the originality of the driver behind the HU. i abandoned the idea 'cuz it was just too much going on back there. the center console has since become my ticket.
I was looking forward to fabbing my dash pods this sunday, but some jerk smashed into my (parked) truck and took off running. so it's going to be a rental for me over the break.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3889
thanks for the reply and input mikechec9 ill consider your ideas as well for my install but first and formost for me is all front stage ....ive been thinking of how all my systems have sounded with rear fill and basically what ive concluded is that if the rear fill is not perfectly tuned volume wise and matched acousticlly it only serves to distract from your music experience ....in a nut shell the sound should fill the listening enviornment not sound directional in any way

Gold Member

Post Number: 1808
i agree hifonics would be an awful choice. my suggestion:
http://www.carsound.com/review_archive/amps/dei1100d.html

references for the current model:
http://www.drdetailshop.com/D1100DDBDrags.htm
http://www.carreview.com/cat/car-audio/amplifiers/DEI/PRD_112372_1806crx.aspx

90 days is plenty to tell the value of a refurb, imo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1811
oh goodness. wrong thread. sorry about that last post, lol.

"but first and formost for me is all front stage ....ive been thinking of how all my systems have sounded with rear fill and basically what ive concluded is that if the rear fill is not perfectly tuned volume wise and matched acousticlly it only serves to distract from your music experience"

you lost me there, man. i would never consider using rear fill to improve stage/imaging.
i suggested the kick panels by your feet in the front of the car, or at either end of the dash. i'm willing to purchase a sticker with "rear fill" with a line drawn through it.
in strict opposition.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3892
what i was saying in a nut shell is ive come to agree with the general theory on setting up a sq sytstem which is all your sound should come from the front stage if possible....sorry for the confusion man lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1812
no doubt. glad we agree. post some pics

Gold Member

Post Number: 3893
might be a while till its done because of it being so darn cold right now but Im very eager to start all this Ill post pics when its all done since i found my digital camera software now

Gold Member

Post Number: 3894
by the way you talked about using a shirt as a temporary form of an enclosure and i just wanted to add another way to do it CARDBOARD lol as in cardboard boxes lol Ive done this inside my apartment already

Silver Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 233
Cardboard gets my vote for quick mock-ups.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3895
when we did our fishtank abc box with a 12 inch woofer we used a 10 gallon fish aquarium and cardboard as a top shaped at an angle so we could cut out a mount for it and slap the 12 inch subwoofer into the enclosure and we used screws for the sub into the cardboard and used tape to seal the aquarium to the cardboard then we made our abc box ports out od carboard ansd taped them to the walls of the aquarium the best we could while doing it as neat as we could so we didnt mess up the ports airflow......This box sounded very (and im not kidding) musical ...honestly better than my REAL abc tangband box (musically speaking) LOL....i did and spl reading and mind you this was using 140 watts rms on the 12 with music and it hit 117 db with no distortion...ps if anyone trie this BE carefull my buddy got in the trunk to see what was happening while it was playing trunk closed and tapped to get out and said you got to get in Sean so I said ok got in trunk closed and what I saw was cool the fishtank was flexing LOL cool but dangerous cuz it could have exploded

Gold Member

Post Number: 1830
cardboard is sweet. that's how we got the molded look of the panels in my hatch.
then we just cut the wood from the cardboard's shape.
i meant shirts to help mimic the sound of the driver in an enclosure by holding it behind the speaker. of course with the dyn and dls 3", it's not necessary because it's already enclosed.
that fish tank enclosure reminds me of dave rivera's buick back in like '92. hence the "fishman" nomer.
got pics?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3896
its still assembled so I could take one for you LOL but I have to get with the guy who has it now

Gold Member

Post Number: 3897
got pics of fishmans stunt????

Gold Member

Post Number: 1832
it's actually a toyota. amazing how much bigger things looked 15 years ago.
small pic
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 3898
I just sent you an email to see if I could get those pictures in a larger format

thanks,

Sean
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us