Best subs for truck box

FrkKevin
Unregistered guest
I have a 2001 chevy silverado ext cab and there are not too many options I can go with for boxes. The biggest I found was a downfire and had a 7in mounting depth and was 0.92cu. I'm wondering what would be a good choice for subs given the mounting depth and space. Money is not really an issue but I did have a few subs(12in) in mind. Kicker L7, JL W3, and MTX 5500. I know the JL would be the cleaner sub and the L7s would hit hard and then there are the mtx and your probably wondering why I even considered those. I've always had MTX subs and they have always taken a beaten and continued to sound good. My car has 2 mtx 10s and 2 mtx 12s so I am used to a system that pounds. Could any of the 3 speakers I listed get me close to what I'm used to and if not what is a better choice? As far as the amp I'd be using, well I don't know what to get until I decide on the subs. I need to get something that would match the setup.

Bronze Member
Username: Suicideshifter

Bristolville, Ohio United States

Post Number: 88
did you look at this site?

http://musicmooseaudio.com/subwoofer_enclosures.html

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
I havn't but after looking at the box choices they are smaller. Both of which have less mounting depth and less cubic footage. They are made with 5/8 mdf and if are sealed correctly they would make a good box but would limit me more on speaker choices. The box I was looking to get is on this site. http://www.subthump.com/silverado.htm It is the ultra deep and they even have an option to cut it for the kicker solobarics.

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
Any suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: T0asty

Post Number: 31
raise your seat! i am :-) but i have 10w3v2 right now.

Bronze Member
Username: Transient

TaosUSA

Post Number: 17
The solos are great,But Infinity Kappas play deep,need small enclosure, and are very friendly priced. Also check out the Hifonics Atlas subs.

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 185
they make a stealth box for your truck i believe....i think both MTX and JL both have a stealth box for your truck.....and the jl stealth uses a 10 w3v2 sub!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
dude the solos sound like even more junk under the seats. i wouldnt even bother. if u wanna spend the money the jl's are your best bet. not much fits under there. If u want "bump" without raising the seat go with 4 10w3v2. its loud!

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
I know solos do not have good sound quality and as much as I'd like to get good sq I'm leaning more for spl right now. Those are the cheapest way to get the most spl under those seats. Unless anyone knows of a better sub that can do the same spl or close to it with better sq and will fit in 7inch mounting depth. 4 JL W3s will not fit and even if you did make them go under the seat there would not be enough cubic footage for each sub. I'd love to get some Adire Brahmas but there is no chance of fitting those. Anyone know a good substitution for the Brahmas that will fit in 7inch mounting depth?

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
I was thinking about getting 2 RE SX 12s. They would cost just a little more than the solos but get a lot better sq. My question is how does the spl compare, what is the best amp suggestion to run the two, and where can I get the best deal on a pair? Either or what would be a better choice or should I just fall back on the solos or w3s.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1475
SX's arent made to perform in a small sealed box like the ones that fit under the back seats of trucks.

w3v2's, RE SE's, compVR's, cerwin vega v-max's, memphis m3's...and stuff along those lines are better the small sealed boxes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
dude i sat in one with 4 under the seats... it sounded awsome

Silver Member
Username: Six

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 146
How could you even fit 4 sx12's under the back seats without a clamshell, iso-baric or in-bed blow-through setup. Let alone function well being deprived of that much space.. We have 2 Silverados one 2001 and one 2002 and there isn't much room at all. I'm just gonna shove the 12" kappas in there firing down.. Hope it sounds good.

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
No not 4 sx12s, just two. I'm dealing with 0.92cubic foot, what do the SX reuire sealed?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1481
An SX is kind of wasted in a small sealed box...they really like ported. Also, i think the 12's mounting depth is too deep the boxes that fit under the back seat of trucks.

Silver Member
Username: Six

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 149
I was responding to Toasty's 4-subs-under-the-back-seat comment.

Username: Dfranke

Post Number: 4
I have 2 JL 12 W3 under my 02 GMC Sierra.. I made custom boxes and the fit perfectly. They are very loud too.. I havnt seen a set up that i like better. I am convinced that JL W3 12's are the best bet in a extended cab truck like that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
i was talkings about 4 w3v2
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us