Can it be done?!?

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 477
Ok, so I have an 80 amp stock alternator. I know it isn't very big but it HAS to stay because my parents wouldn't let me spend that type of money to upgrade it. I am going to be getting a Kicker KX450.2 so its max draw is 60 amps of power. My HU currently draws 10 amps MAX. I don't run my system at full tilt constantly although I do SOMETIMES. If I got a 4 channel amp for my speakers would my car support it? I would be approaching an 80 amp MAXIMUM draw. Probably no more than 60-70 normal which is close to my current setup. Can it be done? And would I notice a HUGE difference between my Pioneer 3 ways with just my HU and them with a decent amp? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 414
typically you need about 50 amps to power the car itself, not counting stereo. you'll be pushing it and really be limiting its lifespan. therefore you'll HAVE to replace it, so why not start looking into it soon

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 926
I see a lot of kids who's total systems draw well over 150 amps of current all running off stock alternators that are usually no more than 120 amps at max. As long as you don't have your system at full volume all of the time I think you'll be ok. Just be smart. Getting a new alternator would help tramendously but since you can't get one you jsut gotta use what you have and not abuse it.

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 133
nope, you have to think about the other things in your car that will also draw current, ac, lights, etc. you want to leave between 30A-60A (depends on the car) for other stuff.

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 134
you guys are fast
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us