Wire gauge and fuse size

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 415
Right now I have a 350rms class D amp running off an 8 gauge power wire (about 12 feet long maximum) with a 40 amp fuse (the amplifier has 2 X 20 amp fuses also). I know it would be better to use 4 gauge wire to run a 450rms A/B amp but I really don't want to upgrade. Would I lose a lot if I use the 8 gauge and say a 60 amp fuse? Or do I HAVE to upgrade to 4 gauge?

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 416
and if I would have to upgrade. I guess I might as well just buy a kit from ebay maybe? What is the difference between the brands? All I would need is a ground, a power wire, a fuse holder, and a fuse. Any help would be appreciated. Try to get it under $20 :-)

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 429
Read this so u know what sizes to look for

http://www.the12volt.com/wiring/recwirsz.asp

quetsionsss.
Unregistered guest
What kinda wires do i need for a 500RMS 12Inch sub and a 1200 Watt amp?? 4 G be fine?

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1368
if you've got a 500watt rms sub and a 1200 watt amp something isnt right with your system...if you noticed, 500 watts and 1200 arent even close to eachother..

chances are your amp is 1200 watts peak power right before it sets on fire...

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9980
Chris, if the amp itself only has two 20A fuses, you won't draw more than 40A through that wire anyway so going to a 60A fuse won't help you.
having wire that's too small just means it won't allow you to draw enough current for the amplifier.
results are an amplifier that will clip, and power wire that will overheat and possibly melt the insulation, starting a potential car fire.

upgrading isn't too hard if you connect the new larger wire to the existing 8GA and pull it through. it acts like a feed for the wire through the firewall :-)

keep in mind too, just because the amp has 40A of fuses, doesn't mean you'll ever really draw that much current during normal use anyway. you may only be using an average 10-15A worth for music.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 417
well, my new amp has 2 X 30 amp fuses though. So should I go to 4 gauge and a 60 amp fuse?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us