Glasswolf...., can i have your advice

Silver Member
Username: Rhassler

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 369
Hey Glass,
I'm pretty sure I can get a second 200 amp alternator installed in my truck. And also, I'm gonna see if I can have 2 optima yellow tops with an isolater installed. My question is how many watts rms ish would it be safe to run with?

And also, if I had 4 1000 watt rms amps put in, that would be too much right? But if i did that, I would rarely have the volume turned up, would that still be way too much?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9890
that's be about 400A at peak, but you'd generally draw less than that. You'd be ok as long as the alternators share load.
If you run a dedicated 200A for audio, you'd maybe get away with 2 or 3 of those amps, depending on what else you run

its all hard to give an exact number on

Silver Member
Username: Rhassler

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 370
ok thanks a lot Glass I appreciate the help.
I know capacitors dont really solve any electrical problems but in this case would it help out?
And I know its all hard to give exact numbers, but if the alternators shared the load, would 4200 watts (200 ish for my components) be pretty much the most I could use or maybe do u think two 2500 watt rms amps would be ok if i only ran it at high volumes once in a while?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9926
shouold be ok with the isolated batteries for backup there.
the capacitors will serve two functions. they act as an AC ripple filter between alternator/regulator and amps, and they act to reduce propagation delay between alternator and amps so they'll help, but only when the electrical system is sufficient already.
They just don't replace the need for the alternator and battries for high current systems.. that's all.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us